Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: 3/6 SH, 12 hands for review.

I read them all and it seems like many are heavily results oriented.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:39 PM

Hand 1
You can't really protect your hand on the flop, but you are still way ahead. Raise for value. Also, hand protection is a relative thing. If you get even one fold from someone that has outs against your hand, you have protected it some. This is magnified in large pots which this one most certainly is.

Hand 2
How did you arrive at 8:1? Remember if he has a FD, you have 36 "outs". If he has a pair without an A of K kicker, you have 6 outs. I'm leaning towards raise on this flop. If BB cold-calls and UTG 3-bets, I call and fold turn UI. If he BB folds and UTG calls, I bet turn and check behind on river.

Hand 4
A donk is the current forum turn for a stop and go. It's not a question of saving chips. If you think he's on a draw, you shouldn't check to him since he will check behind a bunch. If you think he has some kind of made hand, you should check/fold the turn. You do not have odds even if all 6 outs are clean. Even with implied odds.

Hand 10 vs Hand 3
HU vs. 3-way
Overs vs. Overs + NFD
Small pot vs. big pot

You should play more aggressively in big pots. If you bet, you get to charge either or both to draw. You could get a fold from a hand like A5 buying you some outs. If button folds you might have the chance to showdown for one bet by checking river. If you get c/r on turn you have great odds to call and you might be able to raise him on the river if you hit.

Giving free cards in small pots isn't that bad. He will c/r you on that turn HU a good amount of time with quite a few hands including some that are worse than yours. More low cards on flop and since it's HU vs. a blind it can be a play quite often here. If he's making a play, he either folds turn getting you nothing, or bluff c/r's making you fold the best hand. You will not be able to call the c/r though since it could also be a made hand that you have at best 6 outs against. Don't put yourself in a situation where you cannot make a good decision. When you check behind on the turn, he leads the river and you call, you get 1 bet from a bluff, and lose 1 bet to a better hand. Plus you get a card to spike an A or a K with.

WiteKnite
Old 10-19-2005, 09:54 AM

Maybe these questions sound silly but...

Hand 1: I understand. But I read in the books that sometimes it is better to wait till the turn to raise so you can protect your hand better. If not this situation when would it apply then?

Hand 2: I think I finally get this one. Ok since much more than not neither has a flush draw all my 6 outs are good. Also most likely my 6 outs won't interfere with there hands. I would think though that I would make that play with a backdoor also. I said 8:1 because I say there is about a 12% chance one or the other has a flush draw, 12% one or the other has a str8 draw, 60% one has a pair already. Id say around 75% neither has a draw and 40% neither has a pair. Since I have a 1:4 to improve by the river and Id give around an extra 10% for redraws even if I hit it seems very marginal. With all this I think I need better odds. Turned out both had pairs and one has a 2 backdoor draws with 97. I popped the flop hand in Pokerstove vs 2 random hands and equity was only 28% in this case. This is assuming the pf callers have random holdings. Pot is offering 1 for 3 but these players dont have random hands.

hand 10, I got ya. My instincts were telling me to check there and take the cheap showdown.