Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Semi-Bluffing in NL

[ QUOTE ]
hope this helps cause that is a way out there question

Cambraceres

[/ QUOTE ]

Saying that this is "a way out there question" is nonsense.

Perhaps if you think that such questions are so far beyond you and the forums where you post, you should go to the higher stakes forums where your wealth of knowledge will be better appreciated. You're bankrolled for such games and your ability and knowledge are sufficient to play there, I assume...

OP: Semi-bluffs are of questionable validity in lower stakes games, as well stated by SRM80, because they're generally populated with habitual calling stations. Since you're more likely to get called, the move loses one of its best attributes - getting opponents to fold.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:59 PM

I guess that is what i was saying...at the .25-.50 cent levels, it seems semi-bluffing is hard because donks won't lay down the necessary amounts needed to make semi-bluffs profitable. am i missing something...maybe i'm just picking my spots wrong
Old 12-08-2005, 03:03 PM

I agree its not that useful in very low limit games.

But as you start to get at the 1/2 and 2/5 levels and beyond, I believe it becomes more of a factor...people aren't so willing to call when they have to pay $50
Old 12-08-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess that is what i was saying...at the .25-.50 cent levels, it seems semi-bluffing is hard because donks won't lay down the necessary amounts needed to make semi-bluffs profitable. am i missing something...maybe i'm just picking my spots wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

As a general rule, I'll consider firing a 3/4-PSB on the turn if I've got an open-ended straight + flush draw. Even then it's opponent-dependent - if they're calling stations, it's a no-go unless I know they're on total air, and even then, it's still a maybe.

I have found that they're useful in lower buy-in tournaments.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played any NL25, but I played a lot of NL50 in the last couple of weeks and I can say that semi-bluffing works well in those games. Yes, you have to be selective about what your doing - the right bet size, and the right time, against the right opponent. But it worked more often than not, either by getting my opponent to fold, or by getting paid off when I hit my hand.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:14 PM

semi-bluffs are pretty important, especially if you play an otherwise tight-abc style. its a good way of mixing up your play without getting money in with no chance at winning if called. semi-bluffing is obviously better in lp, because you are more likely to take down the pot. also, it helps build the pot when you are in good position. doing it from ep is tougher, as you wil often have to fold the turn unimproved if somebody in lp calls. if you hit, it does improve your chancesof stacking your opponent though.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:18 PM

"OP: Semi-bluffs are of questionable validity in lower stakes games,"

I don't think this is true. There are a lot of good reasons that the semibluff is an important tool, even at the lower stakes games.

(1) It is wrong to assume all players don't pay attention at the lowerstakes games. Semi-bluffing is one tool to keep opponents from putting a read on you. This may not be AS important as at a table with good players, but it is still a useful tool nevertheless.
(2) related to one: It disguises your hand. Which is easier to play against? Someone who only bets when they have something or someone who bets BOTH when they have something and when they have draws?
(3) Oftentimes... betting will take the pot. You will take many pots you would have had little chance to win without betting.
(4) Building a pot. If you have 5 passive limpers in a pot and you have a nut flush draw... you may not get paid off one you make your flush. But your odds are correct if they'll all call your draw.
(5) Superdraws-- statistically, you may have the best hand with 2 cards to come. Get the money in while you're ahead.

I may be missing some but I think that hits a lot of the big points.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you still have to make a hand to get real paid.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's really wrong :|
Old 12-08-2005, 03:31 PM

I also agree thats wrong in alot of cases...2 or 3 good semi-bluffs and its the same as doubling up for me alot of times.

I'd also like to add that semi-bluffs work for me because I'm fairly tight, so I get respect. If you don't get respect, then the usefullness may go down.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you still have to make a hand to get real paid.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's really wrong :|

[/ QUOTE ]

You usually have to showdown a good hand to win a big pot.

Semi-bluffing garners you small and the occasional medium-sized pot.

That's the thought behind my comment. And I stand by it.