Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-16-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Multi-table tournament tips

I am attending a multi-table tournament this weekend at my college. I am mainly a single table tournament player, and am use to playing very tight. I am not sure if thats going to work with 20+ people. Mind you, these people I am playing with are not extrodinary, but there are a few good players. Basically I am use to playing Pocket pairs, and high suited connecters. I am really not sure i am going to play in a multi table tournament, so please, any adive at all would be great.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:38 AM

Default Re: Multi-table tournament tips

The most important thing is to adjust your play to the size of the inital pot (SB+BB+antes). You are in big trouble if you have 5X chips or less then whats in the pot and should push any hand if your first to act. If you have around 10X the pot you have a little more time, but you shouldnt make any other raise then allin. With more chips you could se a flop, and with alot more you could se one with suited connectors.

You need to be familiar with the "gapconcept". This means that you need a stronger hand to enter a pot if it has been raised. And you need an even stronger hand if it has been raised and someone has called. You need a AA or KK if it has been raised and reraised.

Thats 2 good things to know.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:08 PM

You say the tournament is going to have 20+ people. I'm going to speculate that the tournament is only going to have 3-5 tables. If this is the case, it is not going to be that much different than a single table tournament.

This will particularly be the case if the stacks are not deep and the blinds are increasing quickly, as they do in the STTs.

I'd play your seame tight game, becoming looser as the blinds increase and the number of people at the table decrease. Look for stealing opportunities as the blinds increase.

One place where your STT experience will help you alot in a 3-5 table tourney is during the many times that play will be come short handed. The number of people at each table will decrease to 8 to 5 players, then the a table will be broken up and reformed.

A STTer will know how to adjust his game when the number of players decrease at the table. What will happen at a 3-5 table tournament is that the game will shift back and forth between short handed play and full table play. Knowing how to adjust for these changes, and take advantage of players that don't adjust, is a BIG skill for success at 3-5 table tourneys.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:19 PM

Depending on the structure, patience is the most important part (imo) in live tournaments.. you need to be able to fold hands for what seems like forever.. and also need to change gears if others are playing tight, adjust to the table.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depending on the structure, patience is the most important part (imo) in live tournaments.. you need to be able to fold hands for what seems like forever..

[/ QUOTE ]

That's if you have a structure that supports that. Local live card room tournies typically have 20 minute levels, that's 10 hands per round...can't sit around waiting in that one [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]