Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 08:12 PM

Default 400-800 hand

I played this hand in a good 400-800 game at Bellagio last night. John D'Agostino (sp?) is to my immediate left and has called or reraised almost every single time I have raised preflop. This may just be a coincidence but I'm not sure. My image (as far as I'm aware) is relatively tight...I have been raising maybe what appears to be very frequently preflop, but all have been the typical raising hands, nothing out of line. John has cold-called my UTG raises w/ hands as weak as A5s next in and has been playing very well postflop.
I don't remember the exact cards in the hand but the important details are here. I raise JsJd UTG, John coldcalls, a loose BB calls. Flop is KQ5 w/ two hearts. Checked to me, I bet, John calls, and the blind folds. Turn is an irrelevant small card (maybe a 3 or something). I bet and he calls. River is a third heart (8 maybe?). I check, John bets, and I fold.
Any thoughts or standard?
Old 07-06-2005, 08:33 PM

Default Re: 400-800 hand

Perhaps he was doing something like this to you:
http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/issue6/Bvt0506.html
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2005, 08:41 PM

i'd be sorely tempted to check and fold on the turn. One can be fairly certain he's not calling with a small pair on this flop, and it is very likely you are either beat or he has a huge draw to beat you. Given the pot size, I am not sure it warrants any more action. Your hand has to win 1/4 of the time if there's no river bet, but 2/5 if there is a river bet, I don't see it happening that often. I don't play this high, but I suspect he's aware of his image to you by his frequent participation in the pots you play, and that he can adjust accordingly.

Dan Z.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:45 PM

I've played with John, and I don't like this fold much once you got to the river. I have to admit that I'm surprised you didn't get raised on the turn.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:48 PM

I think there is a very good chance you got bluffed. I've played w/ John a lot, and the fact that you say he likes to three bet or call your raises means he thinks he can often play you off hands.
There is a good chance that he only had JT, and no flush. If he had AK or AQ he likely would have 3-bet pre-flop. JT sounds like a likely call hand for him in this situation. There's a chance he may've made a flush, but the pot is certainly big enough to call the river on your part. Do you often go to the river in situations like this and then fold for one more bet? If you do, I can guarantee he would've picked up on it.
Much of your post talked about how you've been playing pre-flop (raising w/ solid hands), but never talked about how you were playing post-flop. Frankly, for expert players, how your opponent plays post-flop is much more important. And playing too tight (folding too easily) post-flop is, when up against someone like jdag, a more costly tendency in the long run than calling too much.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:14 PM

Standard considering you have two Jacks, making JT unlikely for him. Your line is very consistent with what you actually have - he wants you to call.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:59 PM

it's amazing that you're playing 400-800 and you have to ask this question.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:32 PM

I can't believe you aren't playing 400-800 at Bellagio this week. Or maybe you are now.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's amazing that you're playing 400-800 and you have to ask this question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please take your garbage elsewhere.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:34 AM

It's almost gauranteed he doesn't have a flush draw. The question on the river is whether hes value betting a Q (or naybe slowplayed K) or bluffing/ value betting a worse hand than JJ. I think there are enough bluffs or value bets with a hand like TT to warrant calling.