Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 04:06 PM

Default JJ Heads-up

Commerce 20/40 Live, 7-handed

Hero has JJ in the BB. Suits don't matter.

Folds to the CO who raises. Folds to Hero who 3-bets. CO 4-bets (no cap). Hero calls.

Notes on Villain: Somewhat tight, somewhat aggressive, somewhat tricky. Earlier, he raised and then capped a 3-way pot from the button with A7s.

Flop (HU, 8.5 sb): K55 rainbow

Hero checks, Villain bets, Hero check-raises, Villain 3-bets, Hero calls.

Turn (HU, 7 bb): K (completes rainbow)

Hero bets, Villain raises, Hero...?

I put Villain on AA, KK, QQ (doubtful), or AKs. Possibly JJ or TT. There's a very, very, slight chance he'd be this aggressive with a pair weaker than tens, especially since he respects my play.

The only hand I'm beating is TT or total nonsense.

Who calls here? Who raises here? Who folds here? Obviously, if I call, I'm check-calling any river. If I raise, can I lay this down if he 4-bets?
Old 07-04-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Re: JJ Heads-up

too much action with a hand thats way ahead or way behind you should have played it slower
Old 07-05-2005, 02:45 AM

hi box

you need to reraise it pre-flop. it would have helped you out later.

release to the raise on the turn. you are beat.

if you had popped him back on the flop once or maybe twice, you could call the flop and check-fold the turn. remember also that heads-up, you have value pre-flop for around 6-bets. you have to get the bets in there while you can.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:48 AM

it's heads up and the K is an ugly card. no one is folding anything here, not you, not him. just put in the least bets necessary and hope an A doesnt fall and make matters worse. in other words i see no reason for you to have done all tha raising and reraising and betting on the flop and turn. check-call the guy down after he 4 bets the flop and bet if he starts checking.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
too much action with a hand thats way ahead or way behind you should have played it slower

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I completely agree.

Results: I decided to fold to the turn raise. Before doing so, I tried to get something for nothing, so I asked, "Show me one card?" He said, "I'll show you two." I nodded, mucked, and he flipped over...94 hearts.

Way ahead/way behind. Yeah, I needed to play this hand much slower.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:16 PM

I think your turn bet let him take the pot away from you. Once you call the reraise on the flop and the second King comes on the turn, your lead bet screams "No King Here!, hope you don't really have one either, so please just call". I like a lead on the flop and then go into call down mode if raised from there. But since you didn't and he did raise you on the turn, is he the type of opponent that will play fast when weak and then trap when strong? From the sound of it, this player may smooth call your turn bet if the King filled him up, and wait for the river to pop ya.