Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

View Poll Results: So, how many girls?
10+ 16 3.98%
9 1 0.25%
8 0 0%
7 1 0.25%
6 3 0.75%
5 6 1.49%
4 13 3.23%
3 28 6.97%
2 52 12.94%
1 111 27.61%
0 171 42.54%
Voters: 402. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Splitting the MTT Forum

[ QUOTE ]
I think a better split, imo, is to mid-tourney and sweat type threads and a content forum, akin to strategy and bbv.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed - even though i think "sweat", "***OFFICIAL $XX TOURNEY***", and "last longer" threads are generally good things and do a lot to foster a sense of camaraderie within the MTT forum, i do think they are the primary sources of low content clutter in this forum.

a better split would be Strategy vs. Sweat/OFFICIAL/last longer/brag threads.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:58 PM

Go through the last couple hundred posts and count the number of official/brag/last longer posts versus those that are just very basic MTT, NL, or HE questions. I think you'll find that the definition of "noise" depends on many factors and for some the "basic" posts are most significant. (I'm not saying they are unimportant, but someone who is well beyond a beginner stage will open them up, read them, and move on to the next post - that's noise for them).
Old 12-23-2005, 10:10 PM

i agree that "noise" is largely in the eye of the beholder and that there are likely many strategy-related threads that more experienced players might deem to have low content.

however, it would be impossible to split the forum based on the quality of content of a strategy post whereas it would be very easy to seperate strategy vs. sweat/official/etc threads. doing so wouldn't magically solve the "noise" issue but it's hard to argue that it wouldn't significantly reduce it without negative side-effects (everyone would know where to go for sweat/official threads). and if the choice is between reducing noise and doing nothing ... i vote for reductng noise.

EDIT: the sweat/official/etc threads seem to be most populous in the evenings/late night (Eastern) hours which is when i typically post so maybe i'm more sensitive to the issue than others.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:18 PM

If there was a forum specifically for higher buy-in events, there would be few (not none) posts that are so incredibly basic that it wouldn't warrant a response. So in that sense, noise would also be reduced to those who consider "basic" posts as such. I think it's a tough situation and go back and forth on what to do.

I try to make sure that every "reasonable" post has a response. So if I see that nobody has responded to something I'll respond. I see that as part of my "job". But I absolutely admit that reading a post's title goes a long way in whether or not I'm going to spend time reading the post, and many many posts just seem very basic, have a couple of responses, and therefore I move on. And because 9 out of 10 posts might fall into that category it's very easy to miss the occasional gem. I know many experienced posters who do the same and because of that we don't get the benefit of their knowledge. It's really not because of the official threads. Those are SO easy to just skip because the title says it all. Noise for me is when I decide to read a post only to decide not to respond. And separating official posts from strategic ones really won't accomplish that.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:40 PM

I'll go one step further and say that I'm totally guilty of the elitest practice of scanning only the poster's name before opening the post. It's terrible, I know.

I'm in the same boat as Che lately (work, not playing a lot, etc..) so I haven't been posting much. I think that this forum is pretty good and there isn't really a good way to split it that accomplishes segregating out the begginer questions from the intermediate/advanced topics. Splitting it vis a vis buy-in isn't gonna cut it.

Here's one vote for status quo.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:29 PM

I have a couple of concerns over a split, several of which have come up in other posts.

First (and I could be wrong on this), I'm not convinced that you can tie buy-in to complexity of the post. What happens when Exit runs into an interesting hand in a $3+R sat or a $10? (I sat next to him in one of these.) Does he post in the low buy-in forum, and if he does will MLG see it? If we make an exception for Exit, why not me or Marwan?

At a certain level I wish there were a way to differentiate basic posts from more complex, but I don't think this will do the trick.

I imagine it's a software issue, but in other fora I have seen features that allow readers to rate posts/threads.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:15 AM

For my part, the reason I haven't posted in a while is simply that I've been busy with other things and haven't been playing much poker at all. If the forum has suffered over the last couple months, I'm not really in a position to speak to the topic. I feel pretty comfortable saying there never was a "golden age" and there have always been a large number of posts along the lines of should I fold AA, come sweat me with 20 tables left, etc. Somehow the forum survived.

To the extent my opinion really matters, I think there are definite differences between play at low buy-ins and play at higher levels. For example, good luck getting me to fold QQ preflop in a $10 event, no matter what happens. But while these differences are real, I've always felt like we do a good job of sorting them out within the context of a given post. ("I wouldn't fold here... but at a higher buy-in, I'd have to give him credit for a big hand and lay it down.")

I guess I would come down as mildly anti-split but I really think it's up to the folks who drop by here more often than I have lately. Either way, a split isn't the end of the world, it's not like there's a law against simply reading both forums. And if we don't split, that doesn't mean you'll be able to force MLG to post on your dumb folding AA thread.

Best wishes to all my MTT friends and I'm sure I'll be around again at some point.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:29 AM

I had talked to LLoyd about with when the issue was raised and I think the problem we wouild run into is that we have a popular forum and splitting it would make 2 moderate to less than moderately popular forums, Mat won't do this and overall it may not be good for business...Woodguy may be right in that the cure would kill the patient.

~Justin
Old 12-24-2005, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For my part, the reason I haven't posted in a while is simply that I've been busy with other things and haven't been playing much poker at all. If the forum has suffered over the last couple months, I'm not really in a position to speak to the topic. I feel pretty comfortable saying there never was a "golden age" and there have always been a large number of posts along the lines of should I fold AA, come sweat me with 20 tables left, etc. Somehow the forum survived.

To the extent my opinion really matters, I think there are definite differences between play at low buy-ins and play at higher levels. For example, good luck getting me to fold QQ preflop in a $10 event, no matter what happens. But while these differences are real, I've always felt like we do a good job of sorting them out within the context of a given post. ("I wouldn't fold here... but at a higher buy-in, I'd have to give him credit for a big hand and lay it down.")

I guess I would come down as mildly anti-split but I really think it's up to the folks who drop by here more often than I have lately. Either way, a split isn't the end of the world, it's not like there's a law against simply reading both forums. And if we don't split, that doesn't mean you'll be able to force MLG to post on your dumb folding AA thread.

Best wishes to all my MTT friends and I'm sure I'll be around again at some point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lloyd,

Can you modify my post to read word for word w/ this one.

Thx.

Andrew
Old 12-24-2005, 03:02 AM

Ok, some random points.

1. I think there is more than enough traffic to support a split.

2. There is definitely a difference in play between a 3 dollar tourney and a sunday special. However the differences in my opinion are less pronounced than they are in ring games. So while in the ring forums the difference in play at different levels is so severe that it demands separate forums, in the MTT world while its an argument for a split it doesnt necessetate it.

3. A split might encourage the better posters from other forums to become more active in the tournament realm (guys like J.V. and Hiatus Over for example). This is a huuuuuuuuge plus.

4. I don't think a split would be negative for the smaller stakes players. People already respond to only what they're interested in, that wont change if the posts are in 1 forum or 2. For example I rarely post in smaller stake threads, but if an interesting discussion breaks out, I'll give my thoughts. That wouldnt change for most posters with a forum split.

Overall I think I'm probably for splitting the forum, although I dont think its vital. I view it as simply better managing information, and not really changing the quality of discussion one way or the other, and I have yet to see an argument against splitting that makes sense.
Closed Thread