Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Pwned by Freddie Deeb, WPT Bellagio ME

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But he didn't have a suited connector.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can debate semantics all day, but calling a min-raise in position, with stacks that deep, is almost always worth it. 32 would look pretty sexy to me in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

654 and A54 make straights. You can also make a nut low flush and nut low 2 pair.

If you want limp behind or call a miniraise with any 2 on the button (was he on the button?), I suppose this is OK.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Decisive doesn't mean blindly pushing in your whole stack, "dude."

[/ QUOTE ]

what does it mean then? betting at it hard and becoming pot committed when he shoves his set, or flush, or straight flush draw at you?

ps. part of the value of position, is that you don't have to play every hand decisively

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree regarding position, I was jacked up on where Freddie was at.

Although, that doesn't change much regarding playing this particular hand decisively. By decisively, I mean I really like the preflop raise that drew Freddie into a big pot while we had position with a monster hand.

Post-flop, being decisive means playing the hand straight forward until you have a reason not to. He checked, I have an overpair and there are draws on the board. I bet 2/3 to full pot bet. This is where I think the mistake was made by David.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:06 AM

Thanks for posting these David.

Hand #1 I think that you have to make some kind of information bet along the way. Either you bet the flop or you raise the turn. Your hand seems worthless to me on the river here. I puke inside when that flop comes up anyway. There are so many ways you could be losing here.

On hand two, I think you decided to play a "tricky" hand, you actually hit it(!!!!!) Did you get paralyzed when a good player made a pot sized bet on the turn?? Its really easy to sit in front of the computer trying to put Deeb on a hand here- far far different from sitting at the table. I haven't played with him before, but this kind of bet seems like he has an overpair or top pair, and he probably has a big heart to go with it. He also could have a set of Queens. There is some "kill phil" logic to pushing here, hoping that he only has one heart and will give up. If you push into a bigger flush then it wasn't your day....
Old 12-13-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Noah,

Here is what will happen...maybe not 99%, but definitely most of the time you bet 2500 with one pair (no matter what pair that is) on this board given Deeb's PF range:

Freddie Deeb calls, or makes it 3x your bet.

Now what?

If you call his CR, how comfortable do you feel on 25-ish turn cards when he either bets 10K of his 22K or pushes into a 15K pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you that this is a tough spot. I disagree that we get into it 99% of the time. I think we've both oversimplified the situation.

You may be right though... I'm not giving enough weight to the very slim range Deeb can put us on.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Noah,

Here is what will happen...maybe not 99%, but definitely most of the time you bet 2500 with one pair (no matter what pair that is) on this board given Deeb's PF range:

Freddie Deeb calls, or makes it 3x your bet.

Now what?

If you call his CR, how comfortable do you feel on 25-ish turn cards when he either bets 10K of his 22K or pushes into a 15K pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you that this is a tough spot. I disagree that we get into it 99% of the time. I think we've both oversimplified the situation.

You may be right though... I'm not giving enough weight to the very slim range Deeb can put us on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I may not be giving full credit to the texture of this situation. Great appreciation to David for posting this and giving us all such great situations to chew on.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:32 AM

Thanks for the posts. Much obliged.

Hand 1 Freddie can have anything. The tourny is very deepstacked and he wound up in the pot on the installment plan. Given his loose reputation putting him on a hand
is very difficult. He's also going to use his image to
his advantage. I think there are way too many scare cards
on the turn to give him a free card. I make a pot sized
bet on the flop and play accordingly.

Hand 2, come on everyone, this is a big [censored] deep stack tournament. Calling a miniraise with 32s, although it might not be a great play, can't be too bad a play. I guess I must have a lot of leaks because I would be tempted
to play 32s on the button against Freddie. He's too damn
aggressive for this not to have big implied odds. On the
turn I'm willing to go broke with a made hand. I can't put
Freddie on a flush. If he does god bless him. In a headsup
situation I can't specifically put villian on a flush or straight.

Bruce
Old 12-13-2005, 03:10 AM

HAND ONE:

Freddy's range of hands is too large, and as such, I like your intent to keep the pot small. As long as the river isn't a heart, you are getting nice EV for your kings, especially given the scary board. Unfortunately, in this situation, you don't prepare yourself at all for the worst -if a fourth heart comes out.

I fold the river here - I don't see how you win this. at this point.

If it were me, I would have bet out the flop here. My intent would not be to keep this pot small on wait for cards. I would bet the pot on the flop and hope that Deeb folds. If he reraises, I can put him all-in with 2 more kings and four tens to the straight draw. If he has a set, then so be it.

I don't know what your stack size is on the 2nd level. However, this funky on Freddy's behalf. I push.

Argun
Old 12-13-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what your stack size is on the 2nd level. However, this funky on Freddy's behalf. I push.

[/ QUOTE ]

On hand #2, I started with about 21k, and Freddie has more than that, probably around 30k
Old 12-13-2005, 03:50 AM

David,

I really don't know how you fold hand #2. I assume you just called and a scare card came on the river?

-Scott
Old 12-13-2005, 04:02 AM

Hand 1. I play it the same way, fold the river.

Hand 2. Push, if he has a better flush so be it. I think 1 pair and a big heart, or a set are much too likely to give a free card or fold.