Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 07-06-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Hollywood Park 20-40... i like donk betting

I'm new to the forum, so be gentle...

4-handed 20-40 at Hollywood Park. UTG is LAG to a fault. He's down a couple racks since I sat down. Button is extremely loose (called a raise w/ 94o earlier), and will call down with any pair or ace high. SB is decent.

UTG raises. BB calls. SB calls. I call with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Flop is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, I bet, UTG raises. Button calls, SB folds, I call.

Turn is Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet. UTG calls. Button calls.

River is Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] .

I bet...

Should I be value betting this river? Should I be betting any of these streets?
Old 07-06-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Hollywood Park 20-40... i like donk betting

It's fine. You won't be raised by an 8. But if you check, and someone bets, you will call it. So you might as well bet for value.

Jeff
Old 07-06-2005, 02:32 PM

What he said.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:51 PM

hi smurf

you are a little better off check-calling the river. the rest of the hand is fine.

the problem with betting out on the river is that while you may have a value bet by the narrowest margin, you don't relish calling a raise by the UTG. the idea is that you have a better chance of winning on the river by calling the UTG river bet than by calling his raise, even though he will raise or bet with the same hand. now this opens the door for the button to betout on the river, which hurts you. that risk, though, is minimal here since the UTG is much more likely to betout with the button calling. it looks as though the UTG has missed, and the button has the A high. of course, if you thought that you were trailing the button, you should then betout if there was some chance that the UTG would raise out the button, but that's likely.

go ahead and let the UTG bluff at it, and call down 1 bet. if the button betsout, oh well. you'll have to hope you're saving a bet.