Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group 1 - One vs. Eight
The Empire Strikes Back (1) 166 92.22%
Tron (8) 14 7.78%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Luck and deadly viruses.

ok, I wondering howmany ofyall consider yourselves lucky.

Say this bird flue hits the Us (or whereever you live) but its much, much worse than they think it will be. Say its spreaded halfway across your nation infecting 75% of the populus. Further more it appears to be 75% fatal. Based on this you not only are very likely to catch the disease, but also to perish from it. The flu is spreading with not sign of stopping,
Old 10-20-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Luck and deadly viruses.

Oh, cool. The guy that hates the English is gonna get [censored].
Old 10-20-2005, 10:07 AM

You missed an option, it is option number 4:

I'm hoping you catch the virus and die.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Say its spreaded halfway across your nation infecting 75% of the populus. Further more it appears to be 75% fatal.

[/ QUOTE ]

So lets see, 75% of 75% of 50%, so thats what, about 19/100 will die based on your predictions. Yea, I'm not too worried, especially since I really don't anticipate bird flue being anywhere near the threat in this country that they are saying it could be. Just another thing the media is using to make sure there is a story and a scared audience somewhere, IMO.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:10 AM

Why aren't you in school today, young one? I know you've got Remedial English (spelling, writing, etc.) and Comprehension on your schedule.

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 10:11 AM

its 75% of 75% no 50% involved, saying it was halfway across the nation was just so that you know the numbers are true befor e it hits you.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:13 AM

im glad you chimed in with the errorof my ways. Besides your post is a beacon to all those who strive for excellence in English. I like the part where you mistakenly capitalize subjects, a true testament to your mastery of the language.

In summary, respond to what i asked or dont respond at all.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:36 AM

My girlfriend's father has a business working with scientists/researchers helping them found their own businesses so that they get decent income from their discoveries and patents, instead of universities or drug companies giving them the shaft. Anyways, he's in social circles with some relatively big guys in the academic/professional scientific community, and was recently at a party with a guy who was recently head of the CDC's AIDS research dept. He now is working with some big university on the bird flu thing.

Apparently its already widespread among the wild bird population in the US. They're trying to keep this under wraps, since the majority of the US population won't come into close contact with these birds anyways, but they're already starting to have to worry about duck hunters and the like. From what I heard (this is something like 3rd- or 4th-hand), they think the flu's advance into domestic poultry is pretty much inevitable.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im glad you chimed in with the errorof my ways. Besides your post is a beacon to all those who strive for excellence in English. I like the part where you mistakenly capitalize subjects, a true testament to your mastery of the language.

In summary, respond to what i asked or dont respond at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Always happy to be of assistance.

Beacon? Hardly, IMO.

Capitalization of proper nouns, as in titles, is but one of my peccadillos. Not an indication of mastery.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:46 AM

Very interesting indeed.

Myself, I think I've taken permanent damage from past flus. I've had a few where I was coughing up blood. So I think I would be very likely to be in deep trouble and maybe kick the bucket if a tremendously virulent strain became extremely widespread.

On both the negative and the positive side, I've been living with and working with a great percentage of people who have lots of kids. Those kids go to school and bring home viruses to their parents, who pass them around work. Someone is ALWAYS sick at work; there are usually at least two different bugs going around. So I've been exposed to a ton of viruses over many years. I'm thinking my immune system might have more previous exposure to a lot of flu strains than most people's, and that could stand my immune system in good stead.

On the negative side, being exposed to those same people is just more likely to get me exposed the next time, and the building where I live is full of kids, so even if I holed up indoors, I'm sure I'd still get exposure somehow. And just going to the supermarket would effectively expose me to basically the whole planet.