Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 09:45 PM

Default Who calls here with a gutshot?

Normally this would be a fold for me, but I wonder now if implied odds justify it..

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, Hero ???

I am in position to trap at least one player for an additional bet on the turn, in addition to whoever after me might call 2 cold (I'm not counting on it). Only thing I'm worry about is the bettor has nothing and checks the turn.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Who calls here with a gutshot?

I think this is a one of those six of one half dozen of the other calls. I think with my lousy position on this hand and not knowing who else is going to call, I fold this one. If I was on button, I would probably bet the flop and take a shot at the free card if it was offered (and needed).
Old 01-17-2005, 09:58 PM

The more people call the better my odds would be.

As for position. I would check the turn regardless and the raise a bet from the button. This traps two players for an additional big bet.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:03 PM

This will depend a lot on how aggressive the button is. This looks like it might be an attempt to steal. Unless the player was passive or tight, I'd be calling here. You hmay actually have the best hand now, especially since the button didn't raise PF. And you have more than the gutshot, you could hit either of your cards and win that way.

If you think he's putting a play on you here, a raise would be an even better idea. Let's see where you're at. If you get re-raised back, it's time to go. He may fold to it though and you could take it down without a contest.

KC
kingcobrapoker.com
Old 01-17-2005, 10:04 PM

Exactly, but they might all fold and then you are heads up with the button and out of position on a drawing hand. Depends on the read you have of the players. Often you are at a table where the fish will call all the way, but without a good read, this is a fairly scary board for your average LP T8 player. I don't think the call is horrible but even if you hit your straight on the turn, the other players are going to check to the button who bets and you either go for the overcalls (a Q looks real scary on this board) or you check raise them out. Or you bet out on the turn. I just don't see a lot of payout possibilities if you hit your hand for a 10 to 1 shot and with one more card to come.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:05 PM

I like that play a lot better then calling!
Old 01-17-2005, 10:16 PM

Against decent opponents I like it. I have to think I'll be up against an A often enough that this just turns into chip spewing. More than likely the A just calls and then I'm left with the prospect of bluffing at it again on the turn (assuming I don't hit a Q).

Much rather pay a SB, hope to hit a Q and be done with it if I don't hit.