Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 02:17 AM

Default Hand thats been bugging me, Borgata 3/6

Borgata 3/6. This is the first hand at a table that just opened, so no reads :0(

Hero is BB with AA

Preflop:
2 fold, MP1 raises, fold around, Hero 3-bets, MP1 caps, Hero calls.

Flop: KT2
Hero bets, MP1 raises, Hero calls.

Turn: 7
Hero bets, MP1 raises, Hero 3-bets, MP1 rereaises, Hero ??

At this point because of the preflop cap its almost certain he has KK. However I felt folding this would be too weak-tight. Maybe he is overplaying big slick, he might just be a total lag. Can I safely fold here? Or will I see big slick/random holdings often enough to make calling down profitable?
Old 12-15-2004, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Hand thats been bugging me, Borgata 3/6

I think you have to call down here. It's only two more big bets assuming he bets the river and you don't catch an Ace so with something like 14 BB already in the pot you can get shown KK quite a few times before calling down is unprofitable from this point forward. However, if you're really that worried about it, I think you have to forego the 3-bet on the turn and call it down from there instead. I would expect to see AKs and be mildly disappointed when presented with KK. Actually, at several games I've played in TT is almost as likely to have you beat here . . .
Old 12-15-2004, 02:40 AM

Ya, I'm certain now calling down is right. Its just these games play so passive just about the only time its capped preflop is AA vs KK. You can go a whole day not even seeing a 3-bet preflop (unless its a 2+2 table with those guys buying in for a dime each, lol).
Old 12-15-2004, 04:15 AM

Call down.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:49 AM

I would be inclined to 3-bet this flop, but as you played it I wouldn't have 3-bet the turn--I would just call down once raised on the turn.

The only reason I could see for 3-betting the turn would be if you were planning on folding to a 4-bet, which I think is silly and would never, ever do. Once you get 4-bet, just call down.

I could very well be results-oriented here since I know your opponent 4-bet the turn.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:57 AM

You've GOT to call down here, no matter whether you should have been aggro on the turn or not. It's limit poker---the cost isn't that dear---and there is an additional benefit besides the chance of winning the pot: You want to see his hand. Not paying another big bet or two for this information when the pot has gotten this big is a mistake.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:04 AM

The time to do your raising to gain information is on the flop where it's cheap. Alway's cap the flop with an overpair heads up. If he bets into you/raises on the turn after that than you're probably looking at a set (unless a maniac) then you have a check/call situation to the river assuming you don't improve.

Edit: Just remembered that there's no cap when it's HU. All the better to gain your information on the flop.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:30 AM

I'm not talking about raising to get information. I'm talking about getting to see the other guy's hand. Totally different subject.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...so passive just about the only time its capped preflop is AA vs KK. You can go a whole day not even seeing a 3-bet preflop ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I've never played 3/6 at the Borgata so I suppose that makes a big difference. If it's really that conservative then yeah, you're almost certainly dead here, but if that's the case then your real mistake is on that 3-bet on the turn.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:54 AM

Considering folding to an unknown is very bad. I also don't like your turn play at all against an unknown. Just jam on the flop and evaluate.