Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: If There Is No God

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that I have no right to take away the liberty or life of another unless they severely threaten my own life or liberty. I choose to live by this belief. It is not based on utility, but is partly based on that 'disgust' you mention. However, the choice itself, and the will behind it, do not come from disgust or pleasure.

Explain it to me via your model please.

Aside - your chemical pleasure model does not adequately explain the existence of a strong will, or choices based on will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your "belief" appears to be the disgust that comes from evolution in David's theory. If you have the disgust and no ability to overcome it, then you have no will. Just because you call it a choice doesn't make it so. If you are mentaly incapable of doing something, how can that be a choice? Have you ever felt neutral on the point of killing people to benefit yourself? (I suspect you will say no) Then you never really even considered the possibilities, so how can you say you made a choice? You have likely never made a choice that killing people was wrong. You have likely always believed that (or were indoctrinated at such a young age that you don't remember when the belief was forced upon you). I contend you are incapable of overcoming the disgust and have no choice at all in the matter. I am the same way, but I try to be honest with myself about it. I think free will probably doesn't exist. At the end of the day, you are doing something because you just feel like it is the best thing and this is not a choice.