Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Full boat hand

Just wanted to see what people think about this hand, whether I played it ok, and if not, where I went wrong...

*** Export for: 3N1GM4 Game: Texas Holdem Game number: 522316354 ***
Date: 10/2/2005 3:57:01 AM
Game: 522316354: Table: Dover
Normal Table No Limit $0.25/$0.50

Rake: $3.00

Seat: 1 RedDem
Seat: 2 3N1GM4 [ 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
Seat: 3 Flameboy_m (Dealer)
Seat: 4 prisonpool
Seat: 5 SnakepitUSMC
Seat: 6 Scarry

------------------
OpeningBetRound
------------------

prisonpool : Posts small blind 0.25
SnakepitUSMC : Posts big blind 0.50
<font color="green">Scarry : Folds
RedDem : Folds </font>
<font color="orange">3N1GM4 : Calls for 0.50</font>
<font color="green">Flameboy_m : Folds </font>
<font color="orange">prisonpool : Calls for 0.25
SnakepitUSMC : Checks </font>

------------------
Flop [ 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ] 3 players, Pot: $1.50
------------------

<font color="green">prisonpool : Checks
SnakepitUSMC : Checks </font>
<font color="red">3N1GM4 : Bets 1.00</font>
<font color="orange">prisonpool : Calls for 1.00</font>
<font color="green">SnakepitUSMC : Folds </font>

------------------
Turn [ 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] 2 players, Pot: $3.50
------------------

<font color="green">prisonpool : Checks
3N1GM4 : Checks </font>

------------------
River [ 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] 2 players, Pot: $3.50
------------------

<font color="red">prisonpool : Bets 7.00
3N1GM4 : Raises for 15.00
prisonpool : Went all-in 31.62
3N1GM4 : Went all-in 13.25</font>
prisonpool : Receives returned betting money 10.37
Old 10-02-2005, 03:49 AM

Default Re: Full boat hand

I wouldn't bet this flop. A lot of people saw the flop and your 3's are unlikely to be best. I would definetly bet this turn. It increases the size of the pot and a few cards can come on the river to forfeit your full house or be scare cards for your opponent where he won't pay you off. On the river, I'd probably raise more, but I don't think you are getting away with any of your chips if he has a higher full house.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:39 AM

ok, that's fair advice. I definitely agree I should've bet this turn, I can see that now for sure. As for the flop bet, the way the table had been playing, I had been able to pick up many pots on the flop with a bet like this, so I was almost on autopilot here, which of course is bad, but that is the reason I bet anyway. Anyone else got any advice?
Old 10-02-2005, 08:43 AM

The flop bet is fine. You probably have the best hand at the moment, especially given that someone with a six or pocket pair would have probably bet out. Bet the turn. I think you have to call last river raise.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:38 AM

Flop bet is pretty 50:50 you probably have the best hand but if you get calls you'll be screwed because people will do that with 6s, trip 8s, pairs and high overcard. I wouldn't do it but meh.

Since you've been made on the turn you have to keep betting. Any trip 8s are going to the felt anyway so getting the money in is no bad thing. Overcards will fold but you won't make much from them by trapping. Pairs and 6s will be cautious and you might lose some value by betting out and having more cautious players fold but that lost value is far , far less than the value you lose by not betting and allowing weak trip 8s to get out of the hand without putting all their chips in.

From the way you posted this I expect you got beat by a bigger full house but that'll happen sometimes, I stack off everytime with a full house at NL50 when there is only one pair on the board.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:50 AM

yeah, I can completely see now why I should've bet the turn, exactly the kind of thing I needed to be told.

yes, as you probably all guessed, the guy turned over 86 for a bigger boat, but of course that's not the point really. Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.