Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 05:32 PM

Default NL noob required reading list plz.

I've been playing micro-small limits online for about the last 18 months and winning at a decent rate up to the $3/6 level, but I want to expand my horizons to the NL game. I've just started playing the Party $10-1 SNG's. When learning/refining my limit game I read Lee Jones LLHE and Millers SSHE. What books would be best for learning the NL game? I saw in another post a recommendation for Harringtons I and II. Are those two different books? What others do you all think would be good? (super system?)
Old 06-20-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: NL noob required reading list plz.

the HoH books are great, but SNGs are unique and best learned right here in this forum. This ought to get you started. good luck.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:41 PM

Do not read SuperSystem thinking it will apply in the Party SNGs. If you tried to play like Doyle recommends in these games with the small chip stacks you will lose lots of money. His advice really only works for very deep stacked games and even still its not something that a beginner should attempt. And his advice is best in tighter games, which you will not find online, especially at the lower limits.

Harrington's advice will help for the SNGs more than most other books, but even still the focus is mainly on larger MTTs. This forum, especially the post already recommended, is the best place to read about SNG strategy, especially Party with the short stacks.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:56 PM

Harrington has solid general NL info (especially postflop) that applies to the early rounds. It's worth a read for a beginner SNG player IMO.