Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 09:12 PM

Default New to NL ring - my observations so far

Howdy.. I've had extensive experience and success in full limit, 6-max, and SNGs these past 2 years. Now I've decided to master NL ring game skills. After apx 10K hands at .05/.10 $10 on pokerstars with a 4 BB/HR and 8 BB/100 VP$IP 22% PFR 7% - I've learned the following -

Gota be extremely patient and wait for sets, straights, flushes and boats. Anything less is often trouble. And religiously know the odds when drawing for these hands.

Since patience is valued, makes it REAL easy to multitable, what with all that folding going on. Piece of cake compared to 4 tables of 6-max limit or frantic SNGs.

Harrington on Holdem -really- set me straight! Can't wait for vol 2. That and the Miller/Sklansky book I keep hearing about.

My 6-max limit experience has helped me alot in full NL ring. Finding spots to be aggressive and take advantage of situations, regardless of the cards, is alot of fun. I figure after another 10K hands I'll start playing 6-max NL ring, and work my way up the buy-in ladder.

I would think mastering online 6-max NL ring would be quite a valuable skill to have.. perhaps one of the most valuable poker skills there is. Any pros concur? Whats a good limit to shoot for that is quite rewarding yet still filled with generous fish?

And finally, any other profound thoughts / advice / insight I should add to my list as I begin my life of NL ring mastery?

Thx.. Allen
Old 05-21-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Re: New to NL ring - my observations so far

DITTO...pretty much.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DITTO...pretty much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you that's very inspiring..

Actually in the past I would venture into NL ring games and have my AA and KK hands get wiped out, lose my buy-ins, and leave all pissed off. Now that I'm finally having some success and beginning to understand how to win.. its alot of fun.

L8r.. Allen
Old 05-21-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Gota be extremely patient and wait for sets, straights, flushes and boats. Anything less is often trouble. And religiously know the odds when drawing for these hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

this works fine for playing low stakes or bad players. i find it very easy to beat players who are incapable of playing pots without the nuts.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:04 AM

I like full games a lot more now. I started out only playing 6 max. The past couple of weeks I have been playing full tables, and find it much easier to win money consistently. In 6 max, you can go so long being tight and winning many small pots, then some idiot will call your raise with a ridiculous hand like he always does, and draw out on you or something. In full tables, it is much easier to read your opponents IMHO.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:56 AM

I hate those draw outs too, of course [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. But when luck is on your side and you find the right 6 max tables, oh damn, you can't double up faster anywhere else...