Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: AK against Captain Insano

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All said, this play is a gamble. As long as you're happy with that, then I guess it's fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

AK is only a strong hand for it's fold equity. If you're trying to get his stack, pushing with AK is pretty -EV. Like the other commenter, I'd like it a lot more with TT-AA. This looks like a classic case of overplaying AK PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, folks. Of course everyone wants to do this with TT-AA. That's obvious. The point is, this guy will absolutely call with hands with as little as 30% equity, and taking a flop is just going to force us to very often make a huge mistake by folding the best hand (why let him keep betting postflop with KJo UI)?
Old 11-28-2005, 06:09 PM

I wish you wouldn't post my new Party screen name in your thread titles. If nothing else, you showed the Captain that you like to gamboool.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:15 PM

If he would call all in with no more than 2 broadways or any pair (and based on OP's read that he was crazy preflop, he would) then a push is a no brainer IMHO.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:21 PM

I'm actually not worried about Villian. Instead, I'm looking at the BB and Button. Both of them are still active in the hand and might wake up with something serious.

I guess I should refine what I'm saying: You might have villian dominated, but there is a strong possiblity some of your outs are dirty and that any of the other active players in the hand might wake up with something that destroys you. Even if both of the non-villian players fold, they might be folding As or Ks you need. We can find a better spot against Villian.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Or is this a quick double up and then tighten up and play solid poker strategy? It should help your table image as well as a mini Captain Insano.

Guin

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly my goal...I need to get a stack of 200 bb so that his mistakes are that much worse....i'm ok with taking 50/50 to a small pocket pair and there's no way BB in this hand has anything that's calling a raise/reraise/push he'd have already pushed when it had been raised and reraised to him...I think he'd have pushed after the second raise, that only leaves button and I doubt he's smart enough to play second hand low here...i'm ok with risking it there. I'm fairly confident against villain that i'm at worst a coin flip and at best I have him dominated...i'm also confident that if he reraises he'll call a push, which he did.

Again, this isn't for me to win $50 although that's nice...this is so that I can get a stack of $100 so that I can hit him for $100 later.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AK is only a strong hand for it's fold equity. If you're trying to get his stack, pushing with AK is pretty -EV. Like the other commenter, I'd like it a lot more with TT-AA. This looks like a classic case of overplaying AK PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would only be true if he wasn't getting called by suited connectors and dominated aces, which it sounds like he will be.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:52 PM

Xorbie has said everything that needs to be said in this. If you want to get a bigger stack you need to gamble some with people who will call you pf, and if youre taking coinflips AKo is a pretty good one to take
Old 11-28-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: AK against Captain Insano Results

Results:

He called me with 77, I flopped two pair and he didn't set up, so MHIG. Unfortunately I was never able to double up my $100 off of him as I hit a run of cold cards, but still ended up $50 up at this table mostly from this hand. I think this is a great line to take when you figure to be at worst a coin flip and at best having him dominated...also it gives me the shot at doubling up to $200 off of this guy later because he'd call a 200bb all-in in the same situation.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:07 PM

Question. Would this opponent have 2-bet you with T7s? If so, would he have called your push?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Question. Would this opponent have 2-bet you with T7s? If so, would he have called your push?

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure he'd 3bet with T7s. If he did he'd call my push preflop more often than he'd call a bet on an Ace hi flop.