Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Re: yo cossio wtf?

In this position I open raise with AA most of the time. Maybe I limp about a 10-15% of the time.

Are you and Jeff saying that you should open raise with AA in this position and with these stacks (the tournament has just started) 100% of the time?

Well, I don't agree with that. If you're in LP, you know the Blinds don't call raises but tend to overplay top pair, I think you have a case.

And I don't understand the "this forum sucks" comments out of the blue.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:55 AM

Well when you phrase it as "100% of the time" it makes it sound more unreasonable than it is. I do *always* raise aces in this situation and I'd venture to say that a lot of us are. I don't think of it as a really close decision. I could be wrong- I haven't done a lot of calculations and I have never even tried limping there.

Do you randomize your play for almost all decisions? In an online tournament with a large field I would hate to give up any expectation at all for an intangible metagame benefit. On the other hand Jeff and I did see your play and it is very likely you will be involved in hands with one of us in another stars tournament. I suppose you are more likely to be recognized and remembered than most of us.

I'm curious about other hands that you randomize. Would you ever limp ako here? Is there a 1% chance you raise 72o? (not entirely serious). Can you give some other examples? How did you decide to limp aces 10-15% of the time as opposed to 5% or 20%?
Old 11-26-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you ever limp ako here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a friend ( a very smart, good poker player ) that is all about limping AK early in tournaments.

I don't really know his argument, so maybe it was pointless that i mentioned it, but basically he says you drive out lots of hands that you have dominated, that will donate lots of chips when they hit a bad top pair vs yours. But anyyway.

I dont think limping AA here occasionally is all that bad, like i said i don't do it, and at a standard table it wouldn't be optimal, but as i said earlier these 150's can play absurdly tight preflop, so letting them catch a little piece on the flop doesn't seem bad
Old 11-26-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do *always* raise aces in this situation and I'd venture to say that a lot of us are. I don't think of it as a really close decision. I could be wrong- I haven't done a lot of calculations and I have never even tried limping there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right, at least guys like Chris Ferguson and the like think you must raise 100% of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you randomize your play for almost all decisions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I randomize just 93.54% of the time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, I just make unorthodox plays from time to time trying to make myself less predictable. But of course they are still plays with +EV; I'm not calling big all ins with T2 just to appear unorthodox.

[ QUOTE ]
Would you ever limp ako here? Is there a 1% chance you raise 72o?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes, I sometimes limp with AK, AQ and give a chance to the blinds to play their A6 or K3.

72o is more like 0.45% of the time. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2005, 12:51 AM

Not a big fan of the limp. I just can't slowplay/limp with QQ+. Especially that early. The flop and turn needs to be bet harder. The only time I tried to get tricky with AA's live was at the WSOP in the 2kNLHE. Called two miniraises with AA cold on the CO and guy flopped a set. I sucked out on the river and said I will never do that again.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:52 AM

I sometimes limp w/ AKs. Early position especially and early in tournaments.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:14 AM

I understand what Sirio is saying. I would almost never limp Aces there because I rarely open limp at all in that spot. If I open limped more frequently, I would mix in a much higher ratio of "randomizaton" limps with AA.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:53 AM

Sirio11 is a known player and he needs to mix up his play a bit more than the rest of us unknowns. Since no-one knows who the heck I am, I can play more straightforward in these situations.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:43 AM

Actionjeff with all due respect...

[ QUOTE ]
this forum sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes it does someimtes it doesnt.

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is a "wtf" type hand. Limping AA from that position is pretty unorthodox (bad/). I rarely limp any hands from that position... if I did so frequently, I could understand sometimes limping a monster to mix my play up, but I don't see any good reason not to bring it in with a raise early on in a tournament like the stars 150.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reasoning for not limping is that you never open limp. So what if sirio does? I think limping here is fine especially because if someone raises from behind you, you are often going to be in a superb spot to stack them plus you have a lot of deception and will hurt a lot of 1 pr type hands even if the pot isnt raised.

Sure, you also open up yourself for going broke, but if you play well postflop this seems like a perfectly reasonable play.

[ QUOTE ]
river value bet is kind of thin,

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

Let me rephrase.

Did you see the bottom card pair? Did you see the action in this hand?

There is absolutely nothing thin about this value bet. Only the weakest players in the world aren't vbetting this street. Your post was acceptable until that.

[ QUOTE ]
Donkish limp pre though

[/ QUOTE ]

Fairly donkish reasoning for why this is the case as well, sir.

-Jason