Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Contraception = Less Abortion?

One thing that has always struck me as stupid is the reluctance of pro-lifers to embrace contraception as a tool in fighting abortion. They always seem more interested in fighting a political fight than actually doing something productive.

With that said, I decided to take a look at attitudes towards choice in states and the policies of that state towards contraception.

It turns out that 23 states have requirements that health care plans that cover prescription drugs also cover contraception. One would think that pro-lifers would support this because it should lead to less unwanted pregnancies.

But of the 10 states that are majority pro-life (according to Survey USA), only 2 require prescription drug plans to cover contraception. In contrast, all 10 of the top 10 most pro-choice states (according to the same poll) require Rx drug plans to cover contraception. In fact, 17 of the top 25 most pro-choice states boast this requirement.

This just really baffles me. You'd think that we could find some common ground here among pro-lifers and pro-choicers, but apparently not.

Here's a link to the poll if you're interested:

http://www.surveyusa.com/50State2005...tedbyState.htm