Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2005, 05:46 AM

Default Most Effective Flop Betting Amount?

When it comes to certain situations regarding in position bets on the flop (when you raised preflop), what percentage of the pot do you bet?

I see alot of people continuation betting 100% of the pot, and I can't understand why from an equity standpoint. A 50-70% pot bet on the flop, will acheive "nearly" the same result, and cost much less equity when called.

The only times I personally think a full pot bet is warranted is when you hold a strong hand, and there are numerous draws to better hands on the board.
Much of no-limit is about pot control, and it just seems like potting it "can" be counterproductive to that goal.

I understand if you bet 50-70% of the pot as a continuation bet, you must always bet 50-70% of the pot. As so that amount has become a pretty standard amount for me, except for when I beleive i'm against draws or hold a strong draw such as an OESFD.

So basically I'm wondering what everybodies favorite amount, and whether or not I should be potting it much more than I actually am.

Edit: I realize alot of this is dependent on your opponent's playstyle.