Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Wynn 150-300 -- I hate limit hold\'em

[ QUOTE ]
The nerdy SB has a shiny WSOP bracelet on his wrist and obvious self-esteem issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

No sense beating around the bush GOG. We all know the player in question's name start with a "Dan" and rhymes with Scruff.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:34 PM

I was the "WSOP boy" in question.

It's sad that "The Gift" here couldn't just discuss the hand in question, without peppering the message with lame insults and pseudo-intellectual psychobabble. I could make a few comments about him, but I'll refrain for now...

Regarding the situation and the hand:

1) It is true that a drunk sat down in the game. The drunk was strange. At first he acted like he had no clue what he was doing (so badly that it seemed over-the-top and phony), and kept proclaiming he was drunk. He must have said he was drunk about 10 times in the first 5 minutes at the table. Despite all of this, he was folding every hand. Finally I got tired of this apparent ruse, amd I told him that none of us were buying his act. But...

It turned out that he really WAS a clueless drunk, as his subsequent play showed! The tightness ended, and he really did seem to be drunk without an idea of how to play properly. He chunked off a good 10k or so rather quickly before leaving. However, he was insulted that I called him a liar, and he started talking trash to me. I talked trash back to him, and basically acted like I was raising hands wildly because he was firing me up. Not true at all. I did this on purpose, and decided that, the way this guy was playing, I could get a lot more action from him when I did have good (or ideally great) hands. After taking a few beats against him early, I did indeed beat him out of a lot of his money.

"The Gift" tries to make us understand that I was agitated, but in the example he posted about, I had tens -- a very strong hand shorthanded, and certainly strong on a jack-rag-rag flop. I won't bother to further explain my play on that one. Some people have already explained it pretty well.

"The Gift" can say what he wants regarding me being "nerdy", but the fact is that the only reason the trash talking started between me and the "jock" (more like a fat, drunk idiot) was because I was the one who had the stones to call the guy out on what appeared to be a fake drunk act. (Everyone else at the table just quietly whispered about this, afraid to confront him.) Once it turned out he really was a drunk, I was the only one going back and forth with the guy in order to get more action out of him.

I guess that "The Gift" saw this whole thing as some "nerd vs. jock" routine out of a bad '80s teen movie, rather than the situation it really was.

I guess some of us call out the jerks at the table (and get their action), while others slink away quietly and post on forums from the safety of their computer.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess some of us call out the jerks at the table (and get their action), while others slink away quietly and post on forums from the safety of their computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being the Noted Poker Authority (trademark pending), I receive a lot of unsolicited (and often unwanted) attention from men and women alike. Recently, it's begun to get out of hand, so I'm looking to hire a personal security liason.

I've searched high and low, and no one yet has had the elusive combination of keen wit and old-fashioned moxie necessary to protect my well-being from the unwashed masses. Being a World Champion poker player with the grapes to stand up to washed-up jock, faux drunkards menacing high-limit games, I think you may just be the ideal candidate.

If you'd like to apply for the job, please email me at edmiller@notedpokerauthority.com.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:06 PM

9.5/10
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2005, 11:08 PM

I was trying to say something like that but couldn't find the right words.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:25 AM

Funny.

But reading past the tongue-in-cheek sarcasm, it appears that you might honestly believe I was portraying myself to be some sort of "table hero" by accusing the guy of being a fake drunk. I wasn't.

The guy was acting so clueless that it was holding up the game. He kept putting out $400 bets on the flop (in a 150-300 game), and then yelled at the dealer when she pused back $250 of his bet, "But I wanna bet thissshhhhh muccchhhh". Each hand was dragging out (at least the few he chose to play at the time), and given that he was super-tight despite his "drunk" state, I strongly suspected a phony.

Live play is slow enough without a fake drunk slowing down the game. Honestly, it looked so much like a horribly acted Hollywood job than a true drunk, judging from the first 10 minutes or so. I called him out on his act because everyone else was whispering their suspicions anyway, and it was slowing down the game. Basically, it was really annoying to watch, and it lost its comedic value after about a minute. I wasn't trying to be the protector of the table, nor was I stating something that everyone else didn't already suspect.

Of course, now that I think of it, it's interesting that BOTH "The Gift" and the fat drunk confused the game for being NL.

You know what they say. Great minds think alike.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:04 AM

Duuuuuuuude!!!! 13 posts and you're already a LEGEND on these boards.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:32 AM

What's funny is you pushing your read of him faking it, while previously stating that he was in fact drunk.

So which was it?

-Diplomat
Old 08-29-2005, 12:20 PM

mr. druff,

i think all of this could have been averted if you could just reel the douchebaggery back in a bit.

rj
Old 08-07-2005, 05:42 AM

Eddie, let's talk. I used to feel important back in the day when you would answer my calls and just put Mason's calls on the voicemail. But look, you know how it is. Druff? Gab? JV? I'll kick all of their asses. Whatever it takes, baby.