Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Blind defense against good player - KJs

Party 5/10 6-max (5-handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Button raises, SB folds, Hero calls.

Button is 23/16 and pretty similar to me postflop except considerably more aggressive on the turn and river. 3-betting is something I do some of the time here with this hand. I also smoothcall a lot of premium hands in this situation. Right now all hell was breaking loose on another table so I took the easy way out and called.

Flop (4 SB): 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets, Hero calls.

Turn (3 BB): A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets, Hero raises, ...
Old 10-07-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Blind defense against good player - KJs

3-bet preflop. No excuses.

The hand plays entirely different after that.

Adam
Old 10-07-2005, 05:26 PM

3-bet preflop. A 23/16's button range is a lot worse than your hand.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:48 PM

Let me put it this way. I totally suck at playing the bb, and I probably would have just called too. Not a good sign.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:54 PM

I like 3-betting PF ESPECIALLY with good Kings because then when that ace turns your bet actually folds the guy. I've c/r so many draws (OESD or FDs) where I pay the bastard too much with not enough equity b/c I overcalculated my fold equity. HU it doesn't seem worth it when they are well aware of the flush draw and bluffable board--all but no piece stay in the hand, I find. Of course it's much better that he's a TAG, but he could very well have an ace, too. Maybe this is short sighted thinking...let me know, guys.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:58 PM

3 bet this prelop as you have a significant equity edge. You also want to make it as dear as possible for him to steal your blinds with weak holdings.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:07 PM

To be a little less flip, let me ask those who advocate 3-betting explain which hands they'd just call against this opponent, without 3-betting.

And if anyone's feeling extra-generous with their time, perhaps they could tell me why 3-betting only the best hands, but calling the weaker defensible hands, doesn't result in giving away too much info.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:13 PM

KJs is a premium hand that has a definite PF edge against villain's range that can also lose easily post flop and therefore desires to take the initiative in the hand (IMO).

For the same reason (initiative), once maybe every 2-3 hours I cap with a hand I was 3-bet against because I know their range can be so wide, and that initiative gains me tremendous fold equity IMO.

I like just calling with, say, A8. I can passively suck out all the bets he'll offer while not being afraid of an overcard.

I like 3-betting AT or better, sometimes A9, and many pps. They will often win UI. This doesn't give away too much info b/c I can always have 33 playing the way I do.

I like also occasionally 3-betting a hand like QTs.

I like calling with many marginal hands and c/r the flop, betting the turn on low cards. That wins a very high % against TAGish players.

I'm open to everyone's thoughts on this kind of strategy.

M
Old 10-07-2005, 06:28 PM

I'm not sure I like this much. If you think he'll fold a lot of pairs under an ace it certainly has merit. However, check-calling may be tough to beat EV wise since most of the time your flop and turn calls will scare him into giving up with hands like QJ on the river where you'll win at showdown.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And if anyone's feeling extra-generous with their time, perhaps they could tell me why 3-betting only the best hands, but calling the weaker defensible hands, doesn't result in giving away too much info.

[/ QUOTE ]

KJs is far from 'only the best hands'. I will 3-bet lots of strong hands against a button raise. I will also call with the top premiums as well as the defendable hands. Sometimes I will 3-bet smaller pairs, sometimes I will call with them. I will almost always 3-bet with 66-JJ as well as ATo+ and KJ, KQ.

Calling with the real premiums is enough to make my BB steal defenses pretty much unreadable. My calling range is wide enough that I can have a piece of almost any board, and my 3-betting range is wide enough for the same.