Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 01:21 AM

Default One sentence on Thought

I don’t think we can prove this sentence, but I am fairly certain that we cannot disprove it:

One witnesses a miracle when one witnesses one’s own thought.

Whether or not the miracle is from God is irrelevant here.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:44 AM

Default Re: One sentence on Thought

assuming things are true until disproven isnot good science, rather assume things are false until proven true.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
assuming things are true until disproven is not good science, rather assume things are false until proven true.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would seem to go fine under Philosophy ?

I am not totally illiterate, but my formal training in philosophy is not that extensive.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
assuming things are true until disproven is not good science, rather assume things are false until proven true.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would seem to go fine under Philosophy ?

I am not totally illiterate, but my formal training in philosophy is not that extensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming something is true "because it has not been disproven" is pretty awful, whether you're talking about science, math, philosophy, or just about anything else.

As for your statement, I tend to agree. But the exact meaning of the word miracle is so varied within the English language that your statement doesn't really hold any weight, or have any usefulness.

Maybe what you could say instead is that people tend to overlook the extraordinary, even when it's sitting right in front of them. The most amazing things occur every day and most people don't even notice. We would probably be better off if we spent more time appreciating some of the wonderful things in this life, for example human thought.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:48 AM

To Prove = to verify truth. What is truth except that which the consciousness can perceive. The 'One' in, "One witnesses a miracle when . . ." is one's consciousness.

So if You with Your consciousness witness your own thoughts, then you are seeing your thoughts from conciousness which is your true nature, which sees the reality/truth of everything it perceives.

So you will see truth for yourself when you are able to see your own thoughts. How can ultimate truth be explained in words. Only relative truths can be proven with statements of concepts. The more important thing is if you can observe your thoughts from your consciousness then you will see the truth for yourself and there will be no need to prove it.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The more important thing is if you can observe your thoughts from your consciousness then you will see the truth for yourself and there will be no need to prove it.

[/ QUOTE ]
This sounded like total idiocy when I first read it.

After thinking about it some, I really like it. I even think I agree with you. Maybe.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:53 AM

What part is unclear.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What part is unclear.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe it's particularly unclear. It is pretty deep, however. That may be why my initial reaction and current reaction to it are so different.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What part is unclear.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe it's particularly unclear. It is pretty deep, however. That may be why my initial reaction and current reaction to it are so different.

[/ QUOTE ]

The consciousness is deep in the mind, but only if you have a lot of thoughts/worries clouding up the intrinsic connection to it. Kids are very 'perceptive' because they don't have a lot of worries/thoughts to cloud their perspective.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What part is unclear.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The consciousness is deep in the mind, but only if you have a lot of thoughts/worries clouding up the intrinsic connection to it. Kids are very 'perceptive' because they don't have a lot of worries/thoughts to cloud their perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you expound upon this?

Cheers.