Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 06:07 PM

Default cool post from a guy who voted in Denver to Legalize Weed.

I gotta admit - I sorta liked this post - it was in the discussion boards over at fark.com -

----------------------------------

I'm one of the 53% who voted for a small measure of sanity here in Denver.
Pot being illegal has kept it out of the hands of scientists for almost a hundred years.
A hundred years has seen massive advancements in things we are allowd to study.
Imagine the industrial, ag, medical, food, textile, ect... advancements we'd have discovered if it wasn't for this insane war on a plant.
All for the cause that they want to stop people from smokeing it.
I got news for the lawmakers. Anyone who wants to smoke it, still smokes it. Always will.
I've personally known HUNDREDS of smokers in my 36 years, from all walks of life and can assure you that, unless caught by authorities, it has not harmed their lives. On the contrary in fact.

In my adult life this society has managed to make Tommy Chong a FELON for the awful crime of selling bongs. Meanwhile, Mike Jackson has not seen a day in jail! That is EPICLY embarrasing and misguided. They are just high profile examples of the monumental problem with our lawmakers prioritys.

(I think there will be a particularly terrible place in hell for the people who keep ill people from a practicly free medicine.)

Wake up America. Vote to see that our authoritys stay busy going after people who are hurting other people.

In all of recorded history pot has caused ZERO deaths due to overdose.
How many died from booze... yesterday? Cigs? Perscription drugs? Overeating? Caffine? These things are legal.

Pot has led me to harder things... like school.
Put that in you pipe and smoke it.

/Daily smoker for 20+years.
//Self made millionare
///Traveled to over 40 countries
////In my lifetime I've got my Piolts licence. Real estate licence. EMT licence. Master scuba diver. Glassblower. Boxing instructor. (enough tooting my own horn)
/////Currantly reads 2 or 3 books a week.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Re: cool post from a guy who voted in Denver to Legalize Weed.

I liked it too, but if he's going to make the point he's making he should spellcheck.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:29 PM

It is surprising it was only 53% for this measure.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:57 PM

I agree with the guy's sentiment, but christ on a cracker, how can you read 2-3 books per week (or even month) and not know how to spell "currently?"
Old 11-02-2005, 08:05 PM

maybe he reads them while eating grapes?

ugh. I try too hard sometimes.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the guy's sentiment, but christ on a cracker, how can you read 2-3 books per week (or even month) and not know how to spell "currently?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Wooaahhh... maaaaannnn...
Old 11-02-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's like he's posting to a message board without spellcheck or something.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:47 PM

This guy is an idiot and he knows nothing about science. As a scientist I am well arware of the clearances that the science and medical fields are given to perform research. The legality of the drug has nothing to do with possible harmful side effects, but it has everything to do with the negative perception that lawmakers have about the substance. And whether he likes to admit it or not, the buying and selling of an illegal substance creates situations that only add to the negative perception people have about marijuana.

And the stuff about marijuana curing diseases is bull, no scientist in America has made any such claims. They have only said that marijuana has the same effects as prescribed pain killers.

For me I dont care, but if it is illegal I won't risk the consequences that come with breaking the law.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:54 AM

error - should read "self described millionaire."

I'm one of the 53% as well (Actually ~54%) and this guy certainly doesn't speak for me. I'm fine with war on the poppy plant and the coca plant (well, some days). I'm just uncomfortable with the war on cannabis. More importantly, it's this high and mighty attitude that turns people off to the anti-prohibition message.

The fact that I may or may not smoke marijuana doesn't mean I've the inclination or the right to act morally superior. It simply means I have the right to act differently, in the same way as punks have the right to wear purple mohawks; in the same way the irish have the right to wear green; in the same way you have the right to visit a bar for a cold one after a hard day at the office.

Maybe I've had a hard day at the office. Maybe I choose to unwind without the need for a depressant in my body, or to wear purple hair.

Will I drive home after a joint? Of course not. Anyone that supposes that the legalization of marijuana will somehow lead to the legalization of driving on marijuana just isn't using their brain (Ironically, the same thing pot smokers are accused of every day). If the argument is about the propensity for crime while on a substance, then where do we draw the line? Do we outlaw alcohol because people may drive drunk? Do we outlaw cigarettes because people may drop an ash in their lap? Then again, maybe that's one of the other rich ironies in this whole prohibition fiasco. Most of the social conservatives I know that are so critical of "the increasingly liberal nanny state" are the very same who are first in line to keep me away from the pipe.

At least I can have that chuckle, knowing that those who would take away my right to smoke marijuana are, by virtue of their vote, indirectly eroding their own freedoms even if they don't realize it. I chuckle knowing that Antonin Scalia, while chosing the commerce clause over the choice of the people of California, has placed his anti-marijuana, anti-drug viewpoint above his respect for the sovereignty of a state.

I chuckle as I watch people trip over their own principles and false logic in attempts to continue the villification of a simple green plant.

And I am comforted by the knowledge that the people of Denver are chuckling with me. I'm not high and mighty. I'm just amused.

For what it's worth, I haven't smoked weed in several years. The day it becomes legal, I'll play a nice game of Zonk with my friends and then I'll probably never smoke it again.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They have only said that marijuana has the same effects as prescribed pain killers.

[/ QUOTE ]

"They" did say it did more than this. The anti-nausea/appetite stimulation and better individual control of dosage coming to mind first. And it's much, much cheaper than current drugs that treat the same symptoms.