Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 10:23 PM

Default single table sng

I want to start playing single table sng but my strategy going into the table is fuzzy. Many say that i should get the advantage early and that i should play as many hands as possible while the blinds are low. What is the best strategy and what are good starting hands as the blinds go higher?
Old 10-17-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: single table sng

I read this somewhere on these forums and this simple advice backed up by my normal play has worked pretty well for me.

"Play very tight until there are 5 players left then be aggressive."

I don't use that as gospel, but when I have a tough decision I ask myself if I really should be in the hand.

When I am get on a bad streak it is almost always because I am too aggressive early. All it takes is one double up to be competitive on the bubble. If you are patient one of those hands will come eventually, or if not it is easier to double up on an all-in heads up with a weaker hand (i.e low pocket pair or A9s) later when there are fewer players.

At the low buyins it is hard to be aggressive because you always will get callers, usually more than one.

Why be aggressive when the blinds are tiny, save your bullets for when it really matters?
Old 10-17-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Re: single table sng

Hi Student,

I live in the STT forum myself. The advice you received is contrary to the "standard" rule of thumb for successful SnG play. Tight/Aggressive early is the way to go. Of course the definition of tight can vary depending on the structure of your game (starting stack, # of opponents, blind escalation).

The late game strategy is a bit too complex to summarize for you here. But certainly, escalated aggression is a must as the table shrinks and the blinds increase. I'd recommend performing searches on "+ICM" within the STT forum as well. In most cases, the late game decisions are simply answers to math questions.

I'll get you started with this thread: STT FAQ

Also, check out this popular strategy post: SnG Strategy Posts

There's a TON of reading in here, but it will certainly be worth your time. After you get through the FAQ, come hang out with us in STT. There are many highly successful, regular contributors.

Welcome
~Bluefeet