Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: 6MAX Variance -I\'m becoming a manic depressive schizo!

why because I'm in no hurry to play any limit that I'm not comfortable at ..thats why..and I'm content to make decent money with not huge swings. All my BR is from playing ..I'm moving up but at a snail's pace...and I will continue to do so-thats how I do things.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My feeling is once you have a solid base winrate say ~2.00bb+/100 on 50K hands and you've experienced 3-4 up 100 bigbet days and 3-4 down 100 bigbet days then just maybe you may be used to the swingage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meet your criteria and I am still not used to the swings. Not even close. My number one poker priority is to improve my peace of mind and tilt management.

15/30 full has a higher sd/100 than 10/20 or 5/10 6-max. Moving to full games won't alleviate the problem.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why because I'm in no hurry to play any limit that I'm not comfortable at ..thats why..and I'm content to make decent money with not huge swings. All my BR is from playing ..I'm moving up but at a snail's pace...and I will continue to do so-thats how I do things

[/ QUOTE ]

I see nothing wrong with what your doing. Your $ per hour must be around $100. Why would you be in a hurry to jeopardize that. Kiddo said he played 200,000 hands at 5/10 before moving up.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moving to full games won't alleviate the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

matter's what limit you play for me my $5-10 Full sd per 100 hands is ~14 big bets($138 per 100). $5-10 6MAX sd is $151 per 100 hands but the 6MAX varinace takes place in roughly an hour while full games it takes an hour and a half ---the velocity of the swings is what gets me at $5-10 6MAX vs. $5-10 Full.

My sd per 100 hands is only 13 bb/100 in $3-6 LHE .I know that $15-30 full many good players have higher sd's ie 16-20 bb's per 100 with the looser blind structure and more aggressive play ..I dont plan on playing $15-30 Full until I crack $5-10 6MAX good so the full games I play in do have much lower variance in terms of bb per hour.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your $ per hour must be around $100

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish more like ~$60 only 3 tabling currently (would be ~$80 4 tabling). But that is also based on a typical 21 table-hour day where I would 3 table @95hph for a total 2000 hands per playing day. But reality is right now I play about half that many $5-10 6MAX everyday and split the balance with $5-10 and $3-6 full games.

Yes I was hoping Kiddo would chime in here because I really like his approach-he's fairly conservative.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:34 PM

I think it is definatly best to take a break when things are going badly. It does not take may tilt induced bad decisions to take 1bb/100 off your winrate.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:06 PM

Jeez, my SD is 18 BB/100 right now. Smallish sample size, though.

Goodguy, how is your table selection? That can have a huge impact on your winrate. I know this is one place where a lot of multitablers could improve. I think game selection can account for at least 1BB/100.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I guess one way to condition yourself is just to say ok every session I'm could be stuck 75 big bets-now deal with it and fuggin play you wussy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your post.

This is exactly right. You def have the bankroll for it so you just need to suck it up. Also know that dropping 75-100 BB doesn't mean you are for sure going to have losing session. Vigilant table selection and mental discipline can really turn things around when you get stuck on autopilot.

The variance you are breaking a plate over is exactly what enables you to play this game very profitably.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Goodguy, how is your table selection? That can have a huge impact on your winrate. I know this is one place where a lot of multitablers could improve. I think game selection can account for at least 1BB/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could use that as a cop out but I can't. I'm quite game selective. IF I make any mistake it is this: I try to get into highest pot average games too often and these games are the most agressive and swingy as you know. I really enjoy sitting at a 40+% VPIP,<12%PFR tables with 2 or so donks rather than the 45%,20% lagfests. I am making a concerted effort to stay in more passive games with poor players even if the pot sizes are small-this is really optimal not always searching for just the biggest dang pots!!

I'm very game selective in general I usually informally scan a table before sitting down to make sure there are at least 2 40% VPIP'ers. I have done a ton of datamining at this level. I almost always have notes on at a minimum 3 players often 4. of late thu I'm getting the feeling that I'm relying to heavily on PT/PV stats..I may be making too many assumptions on small hand samples... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2005, 05:33 PM

dude, your post is long

here is my advice, stop thinking you are 2/100 winner and life will be easier.