Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: What is a manly drink to order at a bar?

In general, I do not think mixed drinks are manly, because they mask the taste of a spirit. This suggests that one can't stomach the taste of liquor, which is a sentiment common to women and children, and not to men. There are a few classic cocktails that are designed to complement the taste of spirits, though, which I think of as being manly. Namely:

Martini
Tom Collins
Whiskey Sour
Old Fashioned
Bloody Mary

The first of these drinks, the martini, is glamorous but not well-understood by a lot of bartenders. The reigning mistake is to mix it with vodka rather than gin, and very little vermouth, sometimes with only a sprinkling of a few droplets. Personally, I prefer a mixture of about three parts gin to one part vermouth. Another irritating tendency of many bars is to name all variety of girly things "martinis," such that anything served in a martini glass - e.g. the nonsense "chocolate martini" - appropriates the name.

I also think simple combinations are manly, on the order of whiskey (or rum) and coke, scotch and water (or soda water), and gin (or vodka) and tonic. The better the booze the less I would be tempted to put anything in it, though. I do not think tequila is manly, because I think its cultural imagery evokes ruffianism.

I also do not think it is manly to be drunk in public.