Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 12:13 AM

Default A simple flop continuation bet from 200k

I have 3k in the cutoff and make it 375 with a7s, bb is 150. BB has about 3k as well and calls. T92 rainbow, what are the advantages of betting here or checking when he checks?
Old 08-14-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Re: A simple flop continuation bet from 200k

Thought I'd share some of my thoughts as I'm kind of uneasy about this hand. I bet around half the pot maybe a tad more when I played this hand. If he has ak/aq hed prolly reraise me preflop from my steal position but he could fold these. 55-88 he could fold but this is such an unscary flop he might decide to gamble with me here when if he calls the pot is getting close to his stack. Then come hands like QJ KJ where he missed and I'm ahead and there is a very reasonable chance he takes me off this pot right on the flop or leads turn as a bluff. I think I should have given up on the flop, any comments?
Old 08-14-2005, 12:35 AM

Checking

The advatage of checking is he cant blow you off A high
with a AI RR and you could catch an ace on the turn. You can also bet the turn if checked to again (Villian has more than likly gave up). Also if villain was looking to check raise you AI with 55-88 a JKQ on the turn will Help you get a fold from him.

Bet

May get hands like AJ or AQ KQ KJ ect. to fold, but I would assume they would play back at you preflop.

I like a check, But I check alot of hands here HU. If he leads out on a brick, he basically missed his chance to cr you AI on the flop and you can get away from it.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:43 AM

Do you think the avg party player here will play back at me with 55-88?
Old 08-14-2005, 12:50 AM

I haven't played at party in over a year but, I think there is a very very high probabilty 55-88 would play back at you on this flop.

Of course the likly hood goes up with this if you have been stealing from late position alot, and betting every flop.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have 3k in the cutoff and make it 375 with a7s, bb is 150. BB has about 3k as well and calls. T92 rainbow, what are the advantages of betting here or checking when he checks?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to give more information than this, did you open? You should have raised to 450, that's basically a min raise from you, weak weak weak.

If he checks to you, you bet 2/3 of the pot. If he checks the turn and you don't improve, you check too and take your free card.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:33 AM

2.5bb with no antes and non deep stacks is not weak and a lot of great players use smaller raises than 3-4 bb so I don't see why you can call this weak. As for betting 2/3 the pot on the flop if he checks, you really didn't put any thought process into this and I think a lot of reasons have been posted in this thread as to why checking is better which I completely agree with and felt instinctually right after I bet (even before he called).
Old 08-14-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2.5bb with no antes and non deep stacks is not weak and a lot of great players use smaller raises than 3-4 bb so I don't see why you can call this weak. As for betting 2/3 the pot on the flop if he checks, you really didn't put any thought process into this and I think a lot of reasons have been posted in this thread as to why checking is better which I completely agree with and felt instinctually right after I bet (even before he called).

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I'm concerned, it's basically a minraise. I wouldn't open for less than 3x the bb here. you can't minraise, because the blinds will call you, but 3 or 3.5x the blinds looks a lot more scary and you could win PF. If you're going to open, open strong, especially without a monster. Personally A7s is a fold PF for me, but whatever. Just because "a lot of players" do something, doesn't mean you should. I hate minraises, and the people who make them, and minbetting/raising is generally looked at as a sign of a bad player. Don't do it.

On the flop, you have to continuation bet this if he checks to you. You have to represent what you represented PF. Checking here is weak and basically invites him to make a bet on the turn, and then you have to fold unimproved. I bet the flop 2/3 of the pot, and if calls, I take my free card on teh turn.