Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Hand to Talk About

I'm glad you are posting a HTTA again Mason. But honestly, this one doesn't seem that interesting, unless I am missing something. Pretty much every decision here looks routine.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:05 PM

I'm guessing the point of this post is to demonstrate to those unfamiliar with short handed play how a typical hand develops.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:09 PM

I would have folded preflop.

All I can say the big blind was a wuss.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:13 PM

that was in HFAP under "basic floats"
Old 06-05-2005, 02:01 PM

Are we supposed to talk about why you feel the need to post such retarded hands?
Old 06-05-2005, 03:00 PM

I found it on p.43. . . ."The semi-float is when you take advantage of loose aggressive opponents in heads-up situation by calling the flop with a any two cards, hoping to pick up the pot with a bet on the turn, but as opposed to a pure float, you also have outs to improve to the best hand, such as a gutshot or a backdoor flush draw plus overcard. In these instances, a flop call may be seen as more dangerous than a raise, since the loose aggressive player may understand that you are going to play passively and let him bluff away his chips with his dust. if the turn does not get bet, you have an opportunity to bet and will most likely win the pot right there. . . "
Old 06-05-2005, 04:06 PM

I'm going to differ with the crowd here. I think the turn is an interesting decision. By betting, Mason has a chance to win the pot right there. He also risks getting check raised. Assuming he is folding to the raise, he loses out on his chance to hit his gutshot on the river. Not only that, he loses an extra big bet.

An alternative line for Mason would be to check behind on the turn. If the river misses him, he bluffs at the river if his opponent checks again.

I would be interested to hear Mason's thoughts on the merits of this line versus the line he actually took. Would he always take one line or the other? Or is it opponent dependent?

For what it's worth, I am pretty sure that against some players this second line is better.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:13 PM

I was talking about similar situations with another 2er yesterday- almost identical- but on party 5-10 sh tables.
Good to know that at least some of the skills i pick up at these depths translate into the 80-160 game.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An alternative line for Mason would be to check behind on the turn. If the river misses him, he bluffs at the river if his opponent checks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know high limits, but it seems to me that villian would call on the river with any legitimate hand, including some high cards.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:32 PM

Ace high is now a pair given the board.

But your point that Mason would get called a lot is well taken. On the plus side, if villian was planning to check raise the turn, he will now lead the river. This is good for Mason when he misses, because he avoids losing any more money. It's also good for him when he hits his gutshot, because he wins more money. It's only bad for him when he pairs.

Edit: The more I think about this hand, the more I think the right play on the turn depends on his opponent's turn check raise frquency.