Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Flopped A Set... Did I Miss A River Bet?

[ QUOTE ]
Let me start off by recognizing that my preflop call with 8-8 was probably poor given that the pot was small. I probably should have either raised or folded preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, this is the most important part of your post. Yes, you have an easy raise with 88... but no, it's most definitely NOT a raise or fold situation. Folding is terrible. Calling, while not as good as raising, is significantly better than folding.

When you are in late position, you should be aching to play hands when it is still one bet to you. Pocket eights is way enough hand. Folding shouldn't enter your brain.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I raise preflop and raise the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-22-2005, 06:48 AM

Yea I would've tried to isolate that player that limped if I can.

One more thing.. I wouldn't post answers. It might change people's original advice.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let me start off by recognizing that my preflop call with 8-8 was probably poor given that the pot was small. I probably should have either raised or folded preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, this is the most important part of your post. Yes, you have an easy raise with 88... but no, it's most definitely NOT a raise or fold situation. Folding is terrible. Calling, while not as good as raising, is significantly better than folding.

When you are in late position, you should be aching to play hands when it is still one bet to you. Pocket eights is way enough hand. Folding shouldn't enter your brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now if LP had come in for a raise (like he definitly should first in two off the button with QJs), THEN you have a raise or fold situation. (Which it is depends a lot on your read on him.)

/Bjorn
Old 11-22-2005, 09:06 AM

Default I find six misstakes in this hand

Between the 3 players whose hands we get to see I can find six misstakes in their play.

Preflop:
LP should have openraised, and when he didn't our hero should definitly raise.

Flop: BB should usually bet this flop with the nut flush draw and LP should most definitly either bet or CR with flush plus open straigth draws.

Turn: One wonders why LP is so passive with the 2nd nut flush plus an open ended straigth flush draw.

River: Hero just has to raise.

I must say that it amases me to see so bad play at 5/10.

/Bjorn
Old 11-22-2005, 10:10 AM

Definitly raise preflop, no doubt about it. Do not fold.

If someone is weak enough just to limp then raise the bastard with any hands you raise normally with if you are 1st in. You are getting probably $10 for your $6 and the opponent is missing the flop 2/3 of the time.

Now as for the river. I think its much more likely this guy has a flush that a boat. KT or K8 are 18 possibilities and a flush hand (2 spades) is much much more. Remember he is also the big blind so his hand is random which adds to this. He might have a KQ and not realize there are 3 spades. I have done this myself (twice) and seen others do it. Only if I get 3 bet on the river am I just calling. You also have a guy calling between. He could have a flush or just trip Ks and is afraid of the flush.