Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Quitting Your Job Articles

One of the great things about life, Gary, is that even if you do the opposite of someone that is a success like Mason, it doesn't mean that your results will be the opposite of his. Congrats on having a great game plan - far too few do.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 09-19-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At first I agreed with you, then I realized these articles could hurt your book sales, and that you and Sklansky just came fresh out of a board meeting and started attacking these messages (from what I hear), after writing in your own books how hard it is to go pro. Coincidence?
I hope.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.

And on a personal note: I know Mason, I played against him and I honestly believe that he is the master. He has been my inspiration for years.

Oct
Old 09-19-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Fish:

I realize now that my "lean years" statement can be somewhat misinterpreted. Unlike many other companies, Two Plus Two was always profitable. It's just that to expand and grow all profits plus some other money I had and what I could borrow were going in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, well perhaps I did misunderstand.

You made no mention of 2+2 or anything else; so I assumed you were simply taking about "lean years" in regards to money made from playing poker. I felt that was a fair assumption since that is of course what the article under discussion was about. This is why I said that if someone such as yourself had 'lean years' that this should certainly serve as an advertisment for caution to someone who thinks they can earn a living from playing poker.

If we are to take poker earnings and add in various related ventures then that is another animial entirely.

Thanks,
Leavenfish
Old 09-20-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and I never had any doubt that in the long run Two Plus Two was going to be a big success.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that you had 100% confidence that you were publishing the best poker literature available, but can you honestly say you predicted the poker boom? Would you not agree that 2+2, while putting out the best material, would not have had the high sales volume if there wasn't such a strong demand for poker books - a result of the success of poker in general? Just curious.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:45 AM

I quit my job and I've been playing full time for 3 years. A sometimes over-looked question is, what job did you leave to start playing poker? I had a dead-end social work job. I could pick up the paper tomorrow and find another job like that. So I had nothing to lose.

http://thispokerlife.blogspot.com
Old 09-21-2005, 09:03 AM

Great article, not that we would expect anything less
Let mathematics sort the problem out, play half the hours you actually do for your day job( say 50, so play 25 hrs) When you make 2/3 of what your day job pays and have done for some time. Then go Pro???????
I was asked to give my advice to a young college student who had just won a ticket to the WSOP. I'll bore you all with it if i may

He asked "Should I Turn Pro"
(If you have to ask, then the answer is NO)
I was more diplomatic of course.

DO both,
Your degree and Main Job can be the safety net for that ladder you want to climb very high on(being a Pro Player)
Best person to reply to this would be the Hawk, he couldnt "JUST BE A POKER PLAYER" his words not mine from the WPT interview after he took some serious money.
Dont limit yourself to just one thing. Your parents only want what is best for you, doing both and seeing where they take you is my advice.
As for the decision to "TURN PRO" well this is usually a decision that is not yours to make, its usually one that is made for you.
Your an Omaha player, well if i tell you that the PauL maxfield that won 1.7$ million was the same Guy that i used to deal to back in 93 and when it was dealers choice he would say "Omaha Please" the other players would mostly moan and say "Aw cant we just have Hold em" well he stuck with it and it paid off(eventually) 12 years later,
but i happen to know that he owns a factory that he is now selling(he's retiring).
But if he hadn't of had this Big Win he would have still been more than OK. If you don't get your big win, will you??
Me i do many things, i'm a Writer and part time(20hrs and up) poker player, and on the rare ocassion i can win more at poker than i earn from the others, but at no time do i rely on the Poker.
When you "have to earn from poker" then its completely different and much more difficult.
I bet you nearly every Top Pro doesnt need the Money, they usually have very successful business's behind them making them money that they can afford to stake at the Tables.
Devilfish- Jewellers Shops
Chan-Resturant Owner
Toby MAguire-Gets paid Millions to wear Latex Suits and prance about :icon_spiderman:
Ben Affleck- As Above (Dare :evil4
Ok the last two arent exactly Pro's but you get the meaning.
Very few actually rely on Poker as there main income, you can always play better Poker and your real Game when it don't matter if you lose a bit.
The difference between losing what you cant Afford and what you can is Called Gambling and Gaming.
My advice is don't start gambling, but to also do what you love to do, no matter what.
Sam
Old 09-25-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interestingly, I am trying to take the opposite route as Mason. I got my BS in Economics 4 years ago, and I have since gotten married and had 2 children.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the average person, I believe Gary's plan would be the best solution. Poker as a supplemental or at the most a 50% share of income. I do believe there are far too many young kids on 2+2 (I use the word kids liberally in this scenario) who would be doing themselves a disservice if they became a professional player with no other source of income. There are of course exceptions, Mason is living proof.

I believe both Mason and Al to be correct (although I don't like the way Al expressed his POV). Always follow your dreams, yet always be fully aware of the downside of choosing your path in life. Have a backup plan accordingly.

For what it's worth I generate a recognizable portion of my income through poker now, and I am on track to make it equal to at least 1/2 my total income by the end of '06. Poker is my back up plan... it is (like Mason) the means to achieve my real goals in life.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]