Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2004, 05:07 PM

Default Calling and wondering why

I hate posting hands where you start with AA. Ok, onto the self loathing.

Party 15/30.

Standard recent party game. Ok, usually 1 bad player and a couple of looser players and the rest are tight. Bad player limps UTG+1, UTG+3 limps (looser but semi-reasonable player) folded to me in the SB with a black ace and a blue ace. I raise, BB folds, limpers call.

Flop: Th 9h 4s

I bet, UTG+1 raises, UTG+3 cold-calls, I 3-bet, UTG+1 calls, UTG+3 wakes up and caps, both call. The cold-call cap fun. Almost always 1 of 2 hands but the straight draw possibility makes it a bit more interesting.

Turn: [Th 9h 4s] 5c

check, check, bet, call, call. I think I should bet there but can i fold to a raise? I think so and think I should've.

River: [Th 9h 4s 5c] 3h

check, check, bet, call, fold.

Is there any hand this guy can have that i can beat here? I thought down to about 10 seconds on the timer before calling just because the post was big. I figured I'd pray he had QJ no hearts and call.

Thoughts? Turn play? River call?
Old 05-21-2004, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Calling and wondering why

I don't play 15/30 online, but due to the draw-ey nature of the board, I think I'd assume my hand is still good and check-raise the turn. If I get 3-bet here, I'd probably lay down. This is a loose but reasonable player and with the check-raise on the turn you've shown him that you really like your hand. If he 3-bets, he has a hand that beats aces and you can safely fold. I also want to see what UTG+1 thinks about the three-bet. Of course, if he's absolutely horrible, he'll probably just call the two cold and you won't get any information.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:25 PM

Check-calling the turn is fine, but so is betting out and calling the raise (no, you cannot fold to a raise unless you're certain your opponent has a set). I think I would have played it pretty much the same way, although the heart on the river is a major problem.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:38 PM

i hate the idea of betting out on the turn and folding to a raise. think about it this way, what do you expect your bet to accomplish? do you think they'll fold? no. so why bet? if you just check and call a bet, you get to see the river for the same price, and you could hit your A.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:13 PM

For those of us who don't use the 4 color deck, what is a blue Ace?

I think you have a check with outs situation on the turn. You either have 2 outs or 8 outs. You may also be ahead, so you do risk giving a free card to a draw.

On the river, I would say "waste of money" and call on the slim chance that he missed a draw.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:35 PM

blue ace = A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2004, 11:54 PM

i wouldnt checkraise the turn. it doesnt really matter if you bet and call a raise or check-call here. either your opponent has T9 or a set or he has a draw or AT or something weird and you win. not much to say. call the river and say oh well. throw the monitor through the sliding glass window if you like, that sometimes helps me let off some steam.