Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Fossilman Comments on Tells?

Just watched the final table of the WSOP. ESPN had Greg "Fossilman" do commentary at various points during the broadcast. I think they made a great decison in having Fossilman give his take of what happened on various hands. I found Fossilmans comment concerning tells interesting. Fossilman made the statement that "tells" are very important in poker. When I play I do find tells occaisionally helpful but I do not find them helpful enough to deem them important. Granted I play much more limit poker than no limit and understand that they take on a greater importance at No Limit than limit but I wonder just how valuable and reliable tells are to pro poker players including pro tournament players? Any thoughts. Please do not reply if I have indicated to you that I have you on ignore. Thank you.

Vince
Old 04-11-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Fossilman Comments on Tells?

thanks smoothie.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:02 PM

I believe tells are much more important in nl than limit. As if you can find a solid tell on a player you can get all his chips at once. Or save you all of your chips. Other pros will usually not give you a tell. But inexperienced players will. Now you have certain of that tell and know that your opponent doesn't use reverse tells. For this reason i wouldn't always just base my decision on a tell unless a very inexperienced player. It should be used as a piece to the puzzle. But it is a BIG piece if you can find it.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe tells are much more important in nl than limit. As if you can find a solid tell on a player you can get all his chips at once. Or save you all of your chips. Other pros will usually not give you a tell. But inexperienced players will. Now you have certain of that tell and know that your opponent doesn't use reverse tells. For this reason i wouldn't always just base my decision on a tell unless a very inexperienced player. It should be used as a piece to the puzzle. But it is a BIG piece if you can find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good answer Vinnie!! I agree 100%
Old 04-11-2005, 09:34 PM

The only time ive been able to use a tell in a real game that involved physical activity was against a terrible player.

His hands shook so damn much as he bet pot on every street on a ATxxx board... I called down with 33 and he flipped KQ and then berated me, it was fun.

Anyway, if pro's put time into the thought process before they make bets I dont think tells are that valuable at all. At a level that high, anyone who isnt a dope can keep anyone off balance with just about anything they do
Old 04-11-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only time ive been able to use a tell in a real game that involved physical activity was against a terrible player.

His hands shook so damn much as he bet pot on every street on a ATxxx board... I called down with 33 and he flipped KQ and then berated me, it was fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! What a terrible calldown!

Its universally recognized that shaking hands means an extremely STRONG hand, not a weak one.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:58 PM

is that why my hands are shaking?
Old 04-11-2005, 10:09 PM

Shaking hands on older people are not a qualified tell. I played against one guy whose entire body shook all the time. I started to think when he DIDN'T shake, he had a good hand.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:23 PM

I used to think tells were overrated. And in limit poker, they are. But in no limit, they are crucial. As much as I hate to see every wannabe loser be correct about the importance of "tells," they really separate the men from the boys. The main reason for this is the lack of other information available. In no limit, you don't see many hands. Also, there is much less "language" to the betting. Often, you'll be facing one big bet out of the blue for all your chips with no other hands to base your decision around. Determining how comfortable your opponent is becomes the name of the game.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:47 PM

my friends joke on me all the time about my shaking hands. they shake 100% of the time whether playing poker or not. you should see me try put some chips in the pot. lol. it has to do with my blood sugar