Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Slowplaying AA, higher variance but anything more?

Normally I raise AA every time from any position, but recently I've been trying to throw off any reads and have limped it in early position.

Here's one I didnt enjoy:

I have $880 behind, everyone is about that, main villian has me covered. (Hand from memory)

Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Pot is $70, 7(!) players to the flop (the ONE time I limp!)

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks, all check.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets $20, BB folds, Hero raises to $90, 2 folds, CO raises to $225, Button folds, SB folds, Hero pushes for ¬$600 more, CO calls.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

When I checked the flop I was praying nobody had the 78, and I felt there was a good chance that:

a) Someone bets with the case ace
b) Someone bets with a set
c) If I give a free card someone will improve on the turn, but still be behind.

And of course this hand I got wasted by the 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I knew the risks and played for a big pot by slowplaying. Worst case scenario on the flop was that someone had 8 outs against me.

But on the general question of AA, I'm having a bit of an identity crisis on whether to take these kind of risks. Slowplaying aces seems to increase the variance on the results it brings, but other than occasionally doing it to show the table you sometimes do it, is it worth it as a regular play?

Has anyone actually looked at statistics of them playing AA two different ways preflop?