Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Newbie NL ring game ?

My NL ring game is an ultra-tight aggressive one preflop ? To me this means if I'm gonna play my hand I open for a raise, or reraise,never really calling.Usually 4x BB is my standard raise.Is this correct staretegy ?Or should I be doing alot more limping? The game is $50 max. or 25max buy in,BB $1.
I'm assuming my play must be transparent to my oppenents.Yet I still grind out small profits .My game is as thrilling as watching paint dry when the deck is cold.I seldom ever bluff.Is this wrong ? What can be done to help this tight table image work for me?Feel like I'm not winning all the money on the table I possibly could ?
I am a 10% winner over all my sessions,seeing 27% of flops,and winning 31% if seen ? I'm not good with stats, is this too tight ? (11,500 hands played)
Thanks for all your time and effort.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Newbie NL ring game ?

You may want to loosen up a little but not too much. Maybe just call sometimes with questionable hands and quickly run when they dont turn your way. You are usually only looking at 50 cents or $1 when you do and people might notice that you are playing more pots. The problem I run into when playing as tight as you describe is I get married to a hand and take myself to the felt with it. Lets say I get QQ and I raise 4xBB and get one caller, sometimes the flop will come KT8 or something to that affect and I know Im probably beat but I keep throwing money into the pot.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:59 PM

27% of flops seen is far from ultra-tight.

I like aggression but i think there are situations that call for a call. At low limit NL; you're going to see a lot of 5 or 6 way pots. Play a speculative there like a suited connector or small pair, or Axsuited. Adding that aspect is gonna boost a lot of your profit but you need to lay down some big hands, (Two pair, set with a flush on board).

Mix in a limp-reraise with aces if you're in a table where you always see a raise. Building a big pot preflop is key to taking someones stack, the more money they've put in there, the more likely they are to put the rest in. There's a very good article in the 2p2 magazine talking about maximizing profit in these exact games.

Don't be afraid to snap off a bluff be it big or small. If you're paying attention (which i know is hard to do) you'll pick up betting patterns. Tripling a flop bet with a rag flop is going to take it down a lot, you need a strong read though. This comes down to reading hands which really comes with time. Search TheGrifter in the SSNL forum for two really good posts he did a while back.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:54 PM

Limp with: 22-99, Axs, J10s, 109s, 98s, 87s
Not from early position however, you need 4-5 callers to make it +EV

With these hands you need to hit something on the flop or have a strong draw, otherwise fold.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:00 PM

27% of flops seen is loose, not tight.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:08 PM

He's telling you his total flops seen rather than VP$IP. I imagine he sees a fair number of free flops in the BB, which would put his VP$IP around 20ish or a little more. This does not seem unreasonable.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:11 PM

I think it is fantastic that you always raise when entering a pot. It gives you the ability to take down the pot when the flop misses everybody.

However, I would occasionally limp from a LATE position with speculative hands, if you don't think the blinds will raise. If the flop does not hit you, you (of course) have to throw it away. However, you may flop a draw and get cheap cards. Not charging the drawing hands enough is one of the biggest mistakes I see. This may be a transparent play, but most players are not paying close enough attention to catch on.

Second, to take advantage of your image, I would OCCASIONALLY raise (a real raise-4x the BB) from LATE position with two junk cards against weak limpers. Then, if the flop seems to miss everybody try to take it down right there. Most of the time, you will either win it then or fold. No one will know you played trashed.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
27% of flops seen is loose, not tight.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you taking into account the blinds??
Old 12-29-2004, 06:30 PM

I disagree that it is fantastic to always enter a pot with a raise. There are plenty of examples that this is not correct. As one poster already mentioned, you should limp from good position with suited connectors, but certainly not raise with these hands. Also, how do you play hands like AJ or AQ from EP or MP? These hands (to me) are certainly worth a limp, but can get you in serious trouble if you raise with them, as you will often get calls from only better hands and will be out of position on them. I do like aggression, but there are obviously times when you want to get in a hand under the radar. Another example is small or medium PP. These are hands that are great to limp with in the hope of busting someone with a set, but are not raising hands.

I hope this gives you something to think about. If anyone has qualms with what I have said here, BRING IT ON! And by that, I mean we can hold a nice discussion.

- Tot
Old 12-29-2004, 07:30 PM

AJx Or AQx from early position, I fold . Is that too tight ?
Same hands in middle position I limp in , or raise if suited . These hands can easily be dominated so I'm careful with em ...