Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 12:38 PM

Default Poker Metrosexuals

According to an article about "metrosexuals" on www.msn.com.

[ QUOTE ]
Metrosexual.

That's the buzz word, engendered by the popular TV show "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," for a straight urban man who has become increasingly interested in appearance, grooming, home furnishings, the arts and food.

In other words, a man who pays more attention to his "softer" or "feminine" side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there metrosexual males here in the 2+2 forums? If so, who are they?

Is Paul Philips a metrosexual?

Is Mason Malmuth, who is knowledgeable enough about home furnishings and interior decorating to mention "earth tones" colored furniture in a recent thread, a metrosexual?

Is Rick Niebolo a metrosexual?

Are Boris and Ed Miller metrosexuals?

How about Clarkmeister, Dynasty, and Alan Schoonmaker?

Which ones of the WSOP 2004 final table finishers are metrosexuals?

Clearly, Eskimo and Brad Daugherty are not metrosexuals. Neither are Doyle Brunson and Phil Hellmuth, yet it seems like they're moving in that direction. Sam Farha looks very metrosexual on the surface but he may not be. Tomer Benvenisti, on the otherhand, may not look like a metrosexual on the outside but this well travelled gentleman may actually be a flaming metrosexual on the inside.

Is metrosexuality consistent with the stereotypical poker player's cowboy/mafia image? Should it be encouraged?
Old 10-27-2004, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Poker Metrosexuals

wow. i couldnt stop laughing. i think mason malmuth could out decorate any of those queer eye guys using game theory or math or something.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:22 PM

Those shoes totally don't match your pants. Do you see why?
Old 10-27-2004, 02:11 PM

Gonores and all of those guys who kept talking about $200 jeans in a thread a few weeks ago clearly are at least latent metrosexuals.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:13 PM

I could see Daniel N. being one. That's about it.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:16 PM

How about anyone that wears a suit & tie to play poker.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
According to an article about "metrosexuals" on www.msn.com.

[ QUOTE ]
Metrosexual.

That's the buzz word, engendered by the popular TV show "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," for a straight urban man who has become increasingly interested in appearance, grooming, home furnishings, the arts and food.

In other words, a man who pays more attention to his "softer" or "feminine" side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there metrosexual males here in the 2+2 forums? If so, who are they?

Is Rick Nebolo a metrosexual?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't watch much TV and have never seen "Queer Eye For the Straight Guy" but I'll try to answer anyway.

appearance, grooming: I rarely have skid marks on my underwear. Since reading a WW II book with a chapter about life in the US Marines boot camp (Marines are clean and neat) I try to line up my fly, belt buckle, and shirt buttons. Since reading "Bright Lights, Big City" by Jay McInenery I try not to get splash marks on my pants when I take a leak. I don't mind wearing ties and suits for work (secret is getting a shirt big enough so it isn't too tight around the neck) - also girlfriend likes suits. I never have a butt crack exposed and used to (when I worked the floor) discretely inform any poker player displaying one that he had "inappropriate cleavage". I cut my hair with a Flowbee.

home furnishings: Standard man living alone stuff. Ikea, lava lamps, bread rack for stereo. Do have a Braun grinder for coffee beans ($10) and nice Aeron office chair ($800).

art: I've never bought a single piece of original art other than craft fair junk. Most items that hang on my walls other than photos could be found at Walmart. Do like big, somewhat expensive maps in the home office.

food: Know where to find every 99 cent burger deal in the city. Learned how to make a decent martini at age 48. Favorite late night food is NY System Hot Wieners (found only in Rhode Island).

softer, feminine side: Made a serious effort in my early twenties to understand how a woman's "hot buttons" are located and how they are best serviced.

Of those other guys I'd suspect Clarkmeister [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 10-27-2004, 02:34 PM

Hey rick, is that aeron office chair worth $600 (it's price now)?

My roommate had one and I thought it was excessive then, but I am torn...sitting in a shitty government issue office chair all day seems to justify having something nice at home.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:32 PM

Daniel N. and the Iranian guy that always appears in the ads with Annie Duke for UB.

I could qualify cause my wife dresses me.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:54 PM

I don't know. I'm getting fatter and balder every day. I get a haircut every 4 months whether I need it or not. I have no art in my apartment and my furniture is mostly second hand and low grade IKEA. On the other hand I do take it in the ass on Pokerstars on a regular basis, figuratively speaking of course. Butt I don't enjoy the Pokerstars experiences.

I would say that most of the Canadian poker players qualify as metrosexual for sure.