Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2004, 01:48 PM

Default What is the best poker play you\'ve seen on TV?

I nominate Barry Greenstein's River bet into Gus Hansen on the first PSI Gus won.

The jist of the hand was this. Gus raises preflop(!?!)3 handed from the button with 97o, BG calls. The flop comes 68T, two of BG's suit. BG checks, as does Gus behind him. Next card off is another 8( i think, either way, it paired top or 2nd), but it fills BG's flush. Gus has no redraws.
BG checks, Gus bets, and BG studies whether Gus may have checked a set or 2 pair, and quickly decides against it. He raises gus, and Gus calls without much ado. river is a Ten, making the board...

688TT
Not a pretty board for a straight OR a flush.

But BG, knowing that the likelyhood of Gus checking ANY pair on the flop was slim to none, BETS OUT AGAIN, and not some wussy defensive bet. He bet ~150k into a pot of ~250k( i think, fuzzy on ot size). Not only is this a fantastic read for Gus's hand, but also for the likelyhood of Gus calling, as I believe,(He may have said for sure in an earlier post here..) that BG put Gus DIRECTLY on the straight on the flop. Only other hand I can think of he would put Gus on is any hand containing the ace of BG's flush, therefore getting paid off possibly by the nut-no pair, but I doubt BG was thinking much of that.

BG COMPLETELY outplayed Gus in this tournament, made every right move at the right time, and just got carded out.

Any others? I have a few, but the Dalibaby is hungry...
Old 09-23-2004, 01:58 PM

Default Re: What is the best poker play you\'ve seen on TV?

Moneymaker's long stare down and eventual call of Dutch Boyd's overcards during the 2003 WSOP had to be the best ever.

Also Phil Hellmuth's bet and reraise against Tony D was great too. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2004, 02:01 PM

I'm going to get hell for this, but I think Arieh's laydown of the flush when the board paired with his suit was amazing.

He hit the 2nd to nut flush on the river after paying to see it. Unfortunately, it paired the board, giving John Murphy a fullhouse off his flopped set of deuces. Murphy bet about 1.5m into a 1m pot. Now, I know this isn't an INCREDIBLE play because it was an overbet and the board was paired, but still, it's the only hand I've seen on TV in recent memory that wasn't either AKo vs. 55 preflop all-in or a 66 preflop laydown.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also Phil Hellmuth's bet and reraise against Tony D was great too. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it ever even happened.... my sarcasm-o-meter is slightly off lately, this might be another case. I think it was a bad play, but what do I know? It worked. Too risky for me.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:08 PM

Default john duthie...

at the first poker million. every play is awesome, he just annihilated the competition. also juha hellpi heads up against phil gordon...classic!
Old 09-23-2004, 02:33 PM

Default Re: john duthie...

[ QUOTE ]
at the first poker million. every play is awesome, he just annihilated the competition. also juha hellpi heads up against phil gordon...classic!

[/ QUOTE ]

And Phil Gordon calls himself a poker pro... He's just a rich giant. Self-proclaimed professionals aren't professionals. BTW, I'm a self-proclaimed amateur poker player. I don't think anyone disagrees.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:08 PM

Final 3 players in the WPT Championship.

Barry Greenstein's preflop all-in raise with 73o (?) after dreamkiller (or whatever) led out with a big bet that the carwash owner agonized over and then called. Barry had them both covered and they both folded. It's easily the most beautiful play I've seen on TV.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:11 PM

MM's play on DB WAS a great play, but the Phil vs Tony hand has been widely discredited as false.

Missed the [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] at first. I guess that was yer point.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:13 PM

Didn't Dan Harrington do the same thing with 62o to Arieh and Raymer during the 2004 WSOP, except he was covered by both of them? Now that takes some balls.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:17 PM

I don't remember it being quite the same.

The WPT instance was particularly great because of how much the carwash owner agonized before calling the first bet. Barry just played right off it.