Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2004, 12:05 PM

Default uncuts

I bought the WPT season 1 on dvd and WSOP2003, and was wondering why the dont release the 8 hour verisons and so forths of these major games i would love to see the full PSI games and not come back after commercials and see that everyone chip postion has changed.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:20 PM

Default Re: uncuts

Well, I guess the quick answer would be because that would be a waste of time and resources to create a product that wouldn't sell very well.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:50 PM

I think lots of people would love to have the COMPLETE final table without any cuts. They could leave out the comments, and graphics. Just show all the hole cards, we can figure it out from there.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:15 PM

You're selling to a nitch audience. Which means you'd have to jack the price up to account for low sales. The higher price would drive down sales... basicaly if they thought it would be profitable they'd probably do it. But I'm guessing it wouldn't be.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:38 PM

"Jack up the price" on something that has already been paid for by the Travel Channel and the sponsors. Any money made by the DVD's is 99% profit.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I guess the quick answer would be because that would be a waste of time and resources to create a product that wouldn't sell very well.

[/ QUOTE ] well i guess then i would just have the final table uncut like when you buy the set, i see what your getting at im just saying when they start releasing the older wsop dvds and the 2004 eventi would just like if they have the final hour uncut i think that wouldent increase the sell price and the people who want uncut can have it both ways, plus there are chapter selections.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
has already been paid for by the Travel Channel and the sponsors

[/ QUOTE ]
But they didn't pay to create a dvd. You have to pay editors to create the dvd. Then you gotta pay people to put it on dvd, production costs, packaging etc etc. You think those dvd sets magically go from film to boxed set without any outlay of funds?
Old 10-23-2004, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
has already been paid for by the Travel Channel and the sponsors

[/ QUOTE ]
But they didn't pay to create a dvd. You have to pay editors to create the dvd. Then you gotta pay people to put it on dvd, production costs, packaging etc etc. You think those dvd sets magically go from film to boxed set without any outlay of funds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Manufacturing / packaging costs are recouped on a per unit basis. DVD authoring is pretty cheap and easy to do. I bet they get it from 'film to DVD' for under $5,000.00 (probably less as the people who do this work are probably on salary and it is not sub-contracted), and then pay about $2 per unit for manufacturing and packaging.

I bet they break even at about 500 units sold, minus additional promotional expenses for the DVD itself.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:59 PM

nice
Old 10-23-2004, 06:27 PM

As bad as VVPs comments can be at times, I think you underestimate how unbearable this would be to watch without any comentary added or graphics being shown.