Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Taking a Break is +EV, if you work on your game.

Just taking a break from poker in and of its self, may or may not be a good idea, but if you use that time to get a perspective, read/study your poker books and improve your game it cam be a very posiitive experience.

I am nearing the end of a self-imposed break from live play. I have continued to play online so I can use Poker Tracker to monitor my VPIP and preflop raises with the goal of getting tighter and more aggressive. Its working.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Taking a Break is +EV, if you work on your game.

I agree, I've been taking a week long break after playing daily since mid april. Downswing + work + moving to college stress can really get under you skin. Will start up again Saturday!
Old 08-18-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just taking a break from poker in and of its self, may or may not be a good idea, but if you use that time to get a perspective, read/study your poker books and improve your game it cam be a very posiitive experience.

I am nearing the end of a self-imposed break from live play. I have continued to play online so I can use Poker Tracker to monitor my VPIP and preflop raises with the goal of getting tighter and more aggressive. Its working.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this taking a break from poker?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this taking a break from poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I am nearing the end of a self-imposed break from live play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-18-2005, 05:13 PM

I think sometimes a break entirely unrelated to poker is a positive experience, if only because it purges any residual tilt from your system. You start fresh, clear of emotions or assumptions. Taking a vacation is very important in professions other than poker. It helps to reduce stress levels and maintain productivity over the long run. In fact, the Canadian government requires that companies offer 2 weeks paid vacation to every fulltime employee.