Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-13-2005, 08:44 AM

Default putting a live hand together

This hand took place yesterday at canterbury in the 30/60 game. The game had started heads up between another player and I when the 3rd player sat down. He's a 25 year old construction contractor who looks 19...and takes himself and the game WAYYYY too seriously...sunglasses...hat etc. He showed up out of nowhere a couple weeks ago and has been on a heater since. I'd describe him as randomly aggressive...and semi-retarded. Definately a losing player but he does enough accidentally right that he probably isn't losing a ton either as long as the line-up isn't overly tough. He knows I play bigger and thinks I'm tight and aggressive. This is a very big game to him and he takes the money very seriously.

Anyhow, it's 3 handed and the button folds, I raise K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the sb.

He calls.

Flop T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, he pauses, I peak left as he's in the 5 seat and i'm in the 4...he's one of the type that holds his cards in one hand like a millimeter above the felt...and he drops his cards and takes his index finger and just about mucks, when he picks them back up and calls. This was no fake tell. This was honest 'about to muck'. I don't think he thinks I saw this for some reason.

Ok, he doesn't have anything. He's the type that LOVES aces and almost surely would have re-raised an ace pre-flop. So maybe he has goofyish straight draw or an over card or 2.

Turn is an 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, he pauses for about 10 seconds and cuts off a raise.

Stop. You were super close to folding the flop...and now that an 8 comes you're raising? That doesn't make much logical sense...but then again I'm not dealing with a logical player. Did you just turn a straight draw? A diamond draw? A pair of 8's? A random bluff?

King high is still pretty decent vs most those hands. I call.

River 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Not the worlds best card but we're only 1 bet away from showdown. Lets see what's up. I check, he bets, I call.

"Good call, I missed" and shows J7o.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: putting a live hand together

Good story, I enjoyed it.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:22 AM

nice hand; very angeloesque
Old 12-13-2005, 10:33 AM

BK,

You've got a little Angelo in you already. Nice story and, of course, he should have known not to try that after he nearly mucked. Good thought process by you.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:53 PM

Nice.

Lots of times, the fake almost-about-to-fold guys wait until the river to raise. When it's real, it's often some kind of back-door with one overcard or somesuch and they will then raise the turn if their draw improves. Especially when there are no aces or faces on the board and you raised preflop, because they then put you on two unimproved big cards.

Also, guys in the 4, 5, and 6 seats, when competing against somebody else in one of those seats, feel a bit less concerned about tells because most players in those seats don't make an effort to look to the side to see what other players are doing (except preflop). Especially shorthanded since there's no audience watching them.

While you seem to be a great guy, I'm glad you're not in California.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:07 PM

nice hand, BK.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:19 PM

I think the biggest part about this hand, since the game just started, is how much BK's EV in this 3 handed game improves after that.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:11 PM

standard
Old 12-13-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
standard

[/ QUOTE ]

As in standard awesome bk post? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 04:24 PM

no as in standard. this what live play is all about imo. you get a read you stick with it and you make a great play. i love live poker so very much.

last night i had J8 in the sb. some kid in the c/o openlimped, i called, bb (justin) checked. the flop came AKQ. we all checked. that meant that the c/o had none of that. the turn is a 2. i check, justin checks meaning he has none of it, kid bets. i call him down.

these sorts of hands come up frequently in live poker.