Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 08-12-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: I NEED A MENTOR.

I didn't care for that article either, although you should throw in a few checks here and there.

Good luck finding someone.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been coached by Barry since last November. His advice is anything but "weak-tight" and he has helped my game tremendously. If you'd like more information feel free to send me a PM.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will and I would love to get coaching from him as well. I just wish I knew how to use game theory to optimize my bluffing frequency or what to do with a range of hands once I have my opp figured out.

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to look at the game this way...now i dont though.

what you do with a range of hands is decide what part of the range he's likely to have and proceed with the action that maximes the expectation overall according to the expectation over all hands in the range.

as for game theory bluffing ive never found a use for it.

if you know your opponents and can read hands, you can successfully figure out what whether or not a bluff will work a certain % of the time (what the pot is laying you) given your knowledge of opponents. u really wanna roll dice to see whehter you bluff a good player if his actions dictate he'll call??

-Barron
Old 08-12-2005, 10:22 PM

Have a break 2k hands a day is too much. You cant get better playing this much. Its just overkill.

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the non-2+2 books are fluff IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

Read them properly, dont just read the words think about what they mean.

Do your own analysis.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt anyone on here plays as much or thinks about poker as much as I do

[/ QUOTE ]

That is quite a claim to be making...

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt anyone without a strong math background can just figure this out by playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is just plain wrong.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:44 AM

the best NLH and LH players have an uncanny knack for making tough calls and big laydowns........this is an issue of "feel"...BTW something i dont think is discussed enough on this forum.....The best LH players know what you have....i believe on some degree you either have that ability or you dont....it can be learned to a degree, but either you got it or you dont......
Old 08-13-2005, 07:53 AM

i will mentor you. for payment i just need to be staked to play 100-200 and higher at commerce. deal?
Old 08-13-2005, 08:11 AM

This is an interesting post for me as well because I feel like I'm in the same spot. I have kind of plateaued at the Party 1530/3060 level, and am having trouble taking that next step. I can beat up the bad players, but taking money from the good players perplexes me.

I've begun datamining the 50/100 and 100/200 Party tables to idenitfy the top players and I'm planning on taking a detailed look at there play. Sound like a good plan?
Old 08-13-2005, 08:41 AM

Default So, you want to learn poker mathematics?

Shania

Jason Pohl

The 0,1 Game.

Weighing the Odds by Yao King

Pokerstove

The basic premise of unexploitable play is that you must put your opponent's hand range to a 0 EV decision against your hand range.

For example, if the pot is 4 BB and you know your opponent's hand range to be exactly KK-JJ on an AT823 board, your bluffing frequency should be such that 1/6 of the time you are bluffing and 5/6 of the time you are betting a superior hand. Thus, whether he calls or folds, his EV is 0.

Obviously, this gets more complicated as your opponent's hand range gets wider, but the premise is the same and you can extend it to any poker situation.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:44 AM

Both Barry Tanenbaum and Tommy play higher than 30-60, but not routinely. Barry and Tommy have different approaches to coaching, but I am sure either one of them can improve your game. FWIW, Barry is my coach.

LGPG

Babe. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: So, you want to learn poker mathematics?

"The 0,1 Game."

Where are the parts 10+?