Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 02:58 PM

Default transition from full ring to short

I have just started playing 6-handed online and have a few questions about starting hands. In general, what should I be calling/raising with UTG and what should I be raising with on the button? I understand this depends on the table, the blinds, etc. I'm just looking for general advice. Thanks
Old 12-13-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: transition from full ring to short

I realized I didnīt put the limit. Iīm playing 1-2 on pacific poker
Old 12-13-2005, 03:06 PM

Check this out:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...&PHPSESSID=
Old 12-13-2005, 03:08 PM

That's a good post.

The best general advice I can give is:
1) Don't go bonkers. Everyone seems to want to. Naked aces are still naked aces.
2) Don't call everything down. Yes, it is possible for villain to hit big hands.
3) Position is god.

Honestly, your VP$IP should still be in the mid 20's ish, meaning you're only playing about 5% more hands.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:26 PM

Thanks. Two more specific questions. They are basic I know, but I'd appreciae the help. What should my raising range be when it's folded to me on the button and I know the sb with almost always fold if I raise and the big blind will always call? And I understand the point about not limping low pockets because they don't have as much potential set value as in full ring. But what about medium pockets, on the button, two limpers?
Old 12-13-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What should my raising range be when it's folded to me on the button and I know the sb will almost always fold and the big blind will always call?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll take a stab at this although I'm not sure if it's right with a BB that always calls. If anyone disagrees, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Any pocket pair
Any ace
K7s+
Any two suited 8 and up
Any two 9 and up
87s
76s
Old 12-13-2005, 07:58 PM

I find it helpful to think of it as full ring and it is folded to you - raise with the same hands.

I do this for all positions so effectively there is SB, BB, MP2, MP3, CO, and BU - plays like 10 handed where UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2 and MP1 always fold.

So if you were playing 10 handed and it is folded to MP1, etc what would you raise with? (I think there is very little we would limp in any of these positions if it were folded to us and we were the opener). Whatever hands you play in these spots I think they should be more or less the same in 6-max using the above positioning system.

Am I crazy or does anyone else play PF more or less the same?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:59 PM

I am dead on 30 VPIP. Maybe that is my problem.... I am playing to LAG. I am fairly close to break even on last 10k hands, but the last 5K really blew.

SWUSC
Old 12-14-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it helpful to think of it as full ring and it is folded to you - raise with the same hands.

I do this for all positions so effectively there is SB, BB, MP2, MP3, CO, and BU - plays like 10 handed where UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2 and MP1 always fold.

So if you were playing 10 handed and it is folded to MP1, etc what would you raise with? (I think there is very little we would limp in any of these positions if it were folded to us and we were the opener). Whatever hands you play in these spots I think they should be more or less the same in 6-max using the above positioning system.

Am I crazy or does anyone else play PF more or less the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

I normally play full, but this is what I do whenever I dabble in 6 handed. I have not played enough 6 max to know how my play compares to others though. I'm not a big fan of variance.