Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Controversy over symbols and racism .

[ QUOTE ]
Replace "words" with "pictures" and you sort of just shot yourself in the foot.

[/ QUOTE ]

EH??????? How is a flag that different than a word. Both are symbols that have interpreted meaning.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Spin it any way you want, I suppose.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about since the South was supposed to lose the war instantly, they beat the spread by 4 years. Just admit it Evan, that quote wasn't accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are insane. Can't I just admit that you lost a long time ago and call it a day isntead?

[ QUOTE ]
They did not secede. Our country is how it is because they lost. IMO, people who tried to destroy the fabric of what were are supposed to be patriotic about should not be celebrated.

[/ QUOTE ] Who is celebrating them? Other Southeners? Can they not celebrate each other, and their history?

No offense, but I think you are off here man. But I do see your point.

[ QUOTE ]
Southern [censored] rap evolved in (guess where???) the south,

[/ QUOTE ] Master P actuallly started out in the Bay Area of Cali. he learned his sound from there, and then took it back to his native Louisiana.

I would say it is far more accurate to say that Southern rap evolved out of West Coast rap. Also, your claim that all Southern rap is garbage is absurd.

Actually do me a favor and don't respond to my last points, the have no relevance to this thread.

First of all, the cactus does not look like a swastika-- it's arms and legs go the wrong ways.

Second, a swastika has a lot of history to it aside from the Nazi aspect. Hell, Girl Scouts in America used it as a symbol prior to WWII

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

People see what they want to see. It's kind of like an ink blot test. What you make of a symbol says more about yourself than anything else.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I long ago tried to stop worrying about words and just focus on people's intentions. If you take a little time to react less impulsively in these situations and try to look beyond the words, perhaps you'll develop a greater understanding and appreciation of who's really bigoted and who isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

and El D is exactly right! the majority of people who fly confederate flags are not doing it b/c of 'heritage' or whatever.

just b/c some well meaning people do doesn't mean the majority don't.

for the thousandth time: flying the conf. flag did not become popular until the Civil Rights movements. if the flag really stood for heritage, this would not be the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kneel, I've never really noticed your posts before, but you'ev been remarkably right int his thread. Challah!
Old 12-20-2005, 12:27 PM

Ccx,
You can't speculate as to where the US would be had the South won because honestly, no one has a freaking clue.

What we don't have to speculate about, however, is what would happen if the North won. Because they did win. And the US is awesome now. So, if you enjoy the awesome-ness of our country I believe that proudly displaying the Confederate flag undermines that.

(and as I stated before, less than 5% of Confederate flag-flyers are doing so to celebrate their willingness to do what is correct and fight for states rights)

Also the silly little shot about speaking spanish was pretty dumb. I am proud to consider myself bilingual, the US has no official language. My post referring to speaking mexican or canadian (honestly, how can people not see that this is a joke) was inferring had the South won then the US would have been taken over by Mexico or Canada.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I long ago tried to stop worrying about words and just focus on people's intentions. If you take a little time to react less impulsively in these situations and try to look beyond the words, perhaps you'll develop a greater understanding and appreciation of who's really bigoted and who isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

and El D is exactly right! the majority of people who fly confederate flags are not doing it b/c of 'heritage' or whatever.

just b/c some well meaning people do doesn't mean the majority don't.

for the thousandth time: flying the conf. flag did not become popular until the Civil Rights movements. if the flag really stood for heritage, this would not be the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kneel, I've never really noticed your posts before, but you'ev been remarkably right int his thread. Challah!

[/ QUOTE ]

challah!
Old 12-20-2005, 12:31 PM

tsc, you cannot blame something crappy (southern rap) from what it evolved from (good rap). And I can dislike it, its just my opinion. To me the southern rap scale starts at "pathetically horrible"(most of it) and moves to "funny and mildly entertaining" (Mike Jones, Cash Money Mill.)

And this thread already has a million sub-threads, no reason it shouldn't have another
Old 12-20-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(and as I stated before, less than 5% of Confederate flag-flyers are doing so to celebrate their willingness to do what is correct and fight for states rights)

[/ QUOTE ] stop saying this because you have no proof to back this up.

Anyways, I have work to do and this thread will occupy me if I don't leave right now.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] stop saying this because you have no proof to back this up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good old common sense backs it up. Think about the % of people who have somewhat of handle on the politics behind Civil War in the US. I think 25% is a high estimate. Go from there.