Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 10:25 AM

Default flopped set ($50NL - full table)

5th hand at a table - no reads at all ..

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB ($49.50)
UTG ($49.30)
UTG+1 ($48.70)
Hero ($49.50)
MP1 ($72.70)
MP2 ($34.15)
MP3 ($31.70)
CO ($37.99)
Button ($135.89)
SB (Villain)/ ($120.15)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB (Villain)/ posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $1</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $3</font>, SB (Villain) calls $2.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $2, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($12.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Villain checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero ???

Would not have cold called $3 preflop - as I already called a $1 raise from UTG+1 and I have a PP I'm happy to call PF with the intention of Check/Folding if I miss the flop...
Old 11-07-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Re: flopped set ($50NL - full table)

Preflop calls good.

Bet the pot on the flop. This is an action flop.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:32 AM

Bets $10.

You are aiming to stack an opponent holding AQ/QT/AA/KK, but there are loads of turn cards that can kill your action. Try to get as much money in the pot asap.

Ojo_Rojo
Old 11-07-2005, 10:32 AM

You preflop is fine. (5/10 rule in action).

I would lead this flop with a pot-sized bet and pray someone raises me so I can re-raise with a push, especially if you have no reads. I push any safe turn and 3/4 bet any draw hitting turn (since you don't know which draw villain is chasing you can't check here) and fold to a raise.

You most likely have the best hand at the moment on a draw heavy board and cannot risk giving a free or cheap card.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop calls good.

Bet the pot on the flop. This is an action flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to $20</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero???

I thought a $10 bet suited my purpose here - rather than $12.50 - it's enough to represent a good hand and I imagine any re-raise is a big drawing hand Ax [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or less likely top 2 pair Q/10. I think my hand is the best at the table - tho if I call and a club hits the board I have to fold - If I think my hand is best I hate calling - better to reraise or push?

If I push and get called - I reckon Villain will showdown an ace high flush draw (which I'm going to beat 2 out of 3 times) or tt/qq - even if villain has a higher set I still have a one out draw twice...
Old 11-07-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to $20</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero???

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-raises all-in.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-raises all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is something to be said for flat calling this raise...I think a push runs off all the hands that you want to call. It's semantics really though. I think a good player folds AA or KK because the lead, reraise all in is textbook set play. I think the only things that don't fold are flush+straight draws and two pair hands. I consider calling the raise, and making a weak lead on the turn to make it look like I want to draw cheap so that he'll raise me again.....just an alternative way to play the hand...neither method is bad.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-raises all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is something to be said for flat calling this raise...I think a push runs off all the hands that you want to call. It's semantics really though. I think a good player folds AA or KK because the lead, reraise all in is textbook set play. I think the only things that don't fold are flush+straight draws and two pair hands. I consider calling the raise, and making a weak lead on the turn to make it look like I want to draw cheap so that he'll raise me again.....just an alternative way to play the hand...neither method is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice alternative. It probably works better at NL $200 than here. How do you factor in stack sizes? Hero is basically pot-committed to call any river anyway so I think if villain plans to call he will call any pot-sized or greater bet.

If hero and villain's stack sizes were reversed, I really like your play in this situation because I think you can get a villain to push because he realizes he is committed to the pot.

Please let me know if I have interpreted your response correctly.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:05 PM

I think you interpreted my response correctly, but I still think villain folds here for a $30 raise all in....it just screams at villain that his TP or top two is no good...he might be bad enough to call here, but I'd fold if I were villain....I just thought my way was an altnernative way to get the money in which should be hero's goal. I think reraising all in is ok too because you don't want to give a free card, and villain might call it.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you interpreted my response correctly, but I still think villain folds here for a $30 raise all in....it just screams at villain that his TP or top two is no good...he might be bad enough to call here, but I'd fold if I were villain....I just thought my way was an altnernative way to get the money in which should be hero's goal. I think reraising all in is ok too because you don't want to give a free card, and villain might call it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. BTW -- I plan to try your suggestion next time game conditions warrant.