Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: This is how real men play KK

[ QUOTE ]
An ace normally check-calls or check-raises.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know. I've never been in a live low limit game where a c/r on the flop was normal.

I'd estimate the bettor has worse than an ace 65% of the time, and the combined probability of no ace in 3 random hands is also around 65%. Since their hands should be at least slightly better than random, lets bring that % down to 50. That leaves you good on the flop .50 * .65 = 33% of the time. Do as you wish. You are getting 1:9 on a call and 2:9 +/- implied on a raise.

EDIT: 1:11 or 2:11. Missed two sbs

If the table is passive enough, I might raise and check behind to get to the river for two small bets. If it is a bit more aggressive I'd probably muck as you did.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
An ace normally check-calls or check-raises.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know. I've never been in a live low limit game where a c/r on the flop was normal.

I'd estimate the bettor has worse than an ace 65% of the time, and the combined probability of no ace in 3 random hands is also around 65%. Since their hands should be at least slightly better than random, lets bring that % down to 50. That leaves you good on the flop .50 * .65 = 33% of the time. Do as you wish. You are getting 1:9 on a call and 2:9 +/- implied on a raise.

If the table is passive enough, I might raise and check behind to get to the river for two small bets. If it is a bit more aggressive I'd probably muck as you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising the flop and then checking behind the turn with a made hand that has little chance of improving is almost never correct.

In fact, it makes me vomit a little.

I see poor low limit players do this all the time: they don't want to risk a lot so they try this kind of raise-check line, not realizing that if they have enough equity to get to the river for 2 SB they usually have enough equity to get there for 2 BB and checking the turn can have disastrous consequences when you give a free card to beat you or miss out on value agianst a draw.

In general, if I'm trying to get to the river cheap I either call down or raise the flop and bet the turn with the intent of checking the river behind. But this sort of raise the flop check the turn [censored] is generally just bad poker.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But this sort of raise the flop check the turn [censored] is generally just bad poker.

[/ QUOTE ] Bad advice on my part I guess. Although I could see myself taking either line depending on how many callers I get, and whether or not I turn a draw.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising the flop and then checking behind the turn with a made hand that has little chance of improving is almost never correct.

In fact, it makes me vomit a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be stickied here and in Micros.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what do you think the limper is betting into pfr with an A on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is terrible. This is usually a bluff or a semi-bluff. An ace normally check-calls or check-raises.

You are playing poker, ya know.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not terrible. You've obviously never played 3/6 live.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I haven't played 3/6 live. It's still a bad fold though without a specific read that the bettor is passive and doesn't "bluff-rep," as I call it.