Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Re: the TV biz sucks

Dude, I would never lie to you. I'm going to tell you straight up. Quit being a pussy. I started in media sales for one of the big 3 networks. You're going to be [censored] on. And you're going to have to kiss ass. You're going to have to debase yourself. But if you can put up with all this, and you have talent, you may make it. Maybe.Quit whining. If you can't afford living in the greatest city in the world get out.If you can't deal with the competititve nature of the industry you've chosen , move. TV media wants closers, not pussies. This board caters to pussies. Make your choice.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a BS in Radio/TV and have been out of school for 18months and cant even get a job. I applied for a part-time teleprompter job that paid $6/hr and didnt hear anything. Now im trying to focus on working in media depts for larger companies. F a TV station.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well [censored].

Oh well, looks like I'll be joining a band and playing the game of p*ker if I'm going to make any money...

Scheduled graduation: 1.5-2 years.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a BS in Radio/TV and have been out of school for 18months and cant even get a job. I applied for a part-time teleprompter job that paid $6/hr and didnt hear anything. Now im trying to focus on working in media depts for larger companies. F a TV station.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well [censored].

Oh well, looks like I'll be joining a band and playing the game of p*ker if I'm going to make any money...

Scheduled graduation: 1.5-2 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the job market isn't as bad as he says. It may be if you confine yourself to one specific town or market.

The fact of the matter is, for anyone majoring in journalism, especially in TV, you have to be prepared for the fact that you have to be flexible on where you live. If you have your heart set on a certain station or market, well, don't count on it. You may have to live for 12 to 18 months in a market in the 120-200 range if you want to be an on air reporter.

If you're producing, or in production, the jobs are easier to get, but you still have to be willing to move.

To the OP, maybe I missed it in your thread. But how much experience do you have? Getting a producer job in Seattle is doable, depending on how long you've been working in NY.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:54 AM

4 years of college. 2 years working in the bronx/brooklyn. Big Market
Old 08-08-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4 years of college. 2 years working in the bronx/brooklyn. Big Market

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's big market. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, I would never lie to you. I'm going to tell you straight up. Quit being a pussy. I started in media sales for one of the big 3 networks. You're going to be [censored] on. And you're going to have to kiss ass. You're going to have to debase yourself. But if you can put up with all this, and you have talent, you may make it. Maybe.Quit whining. If you can't afford living in the greatest city in the world get out.If you can't deal with the competititve nature of the industry you've chosen , move. TV media wants closers, not pussies. This board caters to pussies. Make your choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its nothing to do with competition. I ate my competition alive to even get where I was. The initial complaint is about the lack of money being made in this industry.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:37 AM

Good luck. I'm sure the money will come eventually.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:37 AM

why does everyone expect to make big bucks straight out of college now??

Ever heard of working your way up? Experience counts for a lot. Not that I had to do that, of course. I sold a script when I was 24 and never looked back - always made good money in NY and L.A.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

but for the rest of you new grads....get to work!
Old 08-08-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why does everyone expect to make big bucks straight out of college now??

[/ QUOTE ]

Reagan was president when I got out of college, and everybody wanted to make big bucks right after graduation then.