Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Re: 1/2 NL Live Deep Stacked

"the board isnt paired, i have the nutz, woo hoo"
Old 12-13-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please explain the riverbet. Whether or not you thought you had the nuts is irrelevant here, also that you saw him getting ready to call a bet since you could not know how large a bet he was willing to call. I just do not understand your action here and what you were thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, there seems to be a lot of disagreement on the river bet and I understand that it looks absolutely ridiculous given the amount of money in the pot.

This hand occured in 2003 and my NL style in 2003 was quite laggy.

I had made a couple of setup plays in hopes of getting the big stacks to call me when I had the nuts. I had made several large bluffs and shown the cards as advertising. In addition, the big stack had been trying to use his position on my to reraise me with air. I'm sure I laid down incorrectly at least once or twice and I caught him once. Anyway, it has devolved into what could have been perceived as a small pissing contest (though we are still quite friendly between hands). I decided to pull the trigger is less than a half second after seeing that he liked the river card. I knew it would look ridiculous and make it look like I was trying to buy it. Of course, I actually thought I had the nuts here and was stunned to find out that I didn't at showdown. Given the player's background, he probably would have called with any straight, set, or flush.

I ran into him the next day and we spoke about the hand and he stated that he was lucky because "if any other heart had fallen..."

Out of context, it looks like a ridiculous bet a donk would make. I have made these bets several times, however, and gotten called probably half the time (and never lost) before this.

Basically, I knew that he liked the card, I thought I had the nuts, and I took at shot at getting called for the big money instead of something like $100.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeh...I actually started to argue with the dealer before I thought to check the board real carefully. I was absolutely stunned.

[/ QUOTE ]

This must have been pretty funny for everyone else at the table
Old 12-13-2005, 12:38 PM

Of course the guy who chases with the K high flush draw is going to fold this if the river is say the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], you guys can be so funny, hero made enough on the flop and turn to pay $1200 on the river everytime this happens.

Mack
Old 12-13-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course the guy who chases with the K high flush draw is going to fold this if the river is say the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], you guys can be so funny, hero made enough on the flop and turn to pay $1200 on the river everytime this happens.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the king High flush calls $1200 here.... And we don't know that villain has the king high flush either, could be any flush lower than that. Betting this high is silly. Queen High flush certainly doesn't call $1200, but might call $100 or $200. Same with Jack high on down.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]
Queen High flush certainly doesn't call $1200, but might call $100 or $200. Same with Jack high on down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever played 1/2 live?
Old 12-13-2005, 06:02 PM

Hard not to go broke on this hand...
Old 12-13-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]
Queen High flush certainly doesn't call $1200, but might call $100 or $200. Same with Jack high on down.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think many people are underestimating the chance of getting called with a worse hand. If I spotted him any 2 hearts, my estimation of him calling was close to 50%. Maybe you just had to be there. Meh, maybe I just sucked. Whatever the case, he told me he would have been toast had another heart fallen. I believe him. If that's correct, then my bet was correct.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Horrible river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that hero didn't realize that there was a possible straight flush, he was probably losing his stack anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I had no idea and it was embarassing to not realize it. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think many people are underestimating the chance of getting called with a worse hand. If I spotted him any 2 hearts, my estimation of him calling was close to 50%. Maybe you just had to be there. Meh, maybe I just sucked. Whatever the case, he told me he would have been toast had another heart fallen. I believe him. If that's correct, then my bet was correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone at 1/2 calls this with a K-high flush. Except maybe the old man in the 5 seat. The majority are calling down to 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], or even worse.