Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 07:31 AM

Default Fainting while lifting weights

I have started to go to the gym on a regular basis. I prefer repetions over weight so I usually do about 15x3.

Here is the problem, I faint. It goes black and after some seconds I am in the game again. I get enought time to A, grab something B, sit down. I dont faint out of exhaustion, could it be blood presure relate? lack of vitamins or minerals in my diet?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-28-2005, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Fainting while lifting weights

Why take a chance with your health? This could be caused by a million things. If this happens frequently (that is, more than once!) See your doctor!
Old 11-28-2005, 07:35 AM

If you've done this more than once, and even just once if it wasn't a heavy (for you) large-muscle movement (eg squats, leg raise, bench), go to a doctor.

It is definitely not lack of vitamins or anything (well, possibly anaemia), you have some sort of physiological issue wrt intense exercise.

PS. If the doc gives you the okay and you want to continue, do the following:

1. Take someone with you to spot!
2. Train in clear-floor areas. You hit a bench, barbell, rack, machine on the way down, you may really hurt yourself.

You shouldn't be expecting to faint - EVER - while training once you get into it (after 2 sessions, I'd say).
Old 11-28-2005, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have started to go to the gym on a regular basis. I prefer repetions over weight so I usually do about 15x3.

Here is the problem, I faint. It goes black and after some seconds I am in the game again. I get enought time to A, grab something B, sit down. I dont faint out of exhaustion, could it be blood presure relate? lack of vitamins or minerals in my diet?

Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

If I fainted and did not know the cause I would go to the doctor ASAP. And by "not know the cause", I mean, if I found out something so shocking or something like that (of course I can't really even imagine this, becuase i have never fainted before) I would know the cause and wouldn't worry about it. But, like I said, if I didn't know the reason I would go to the doctor pretty quickly. I am not trying to make you nervous, because it could be something simple, but I don't think (maybe I am wrong) that there is anybody on here that is qualified to tell you why you are fainting and you should just go to the Dr.

When you were at the gym did nobody see you faint? You would think if they did they would have a trained staff that would help you or even possibly call the ER for you.

Reasons I would go to the doctor almost immediately would be shortness of breath for no reason, fainting, hallucinations (not drug induced [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ), etc... All of these things could be cause by something real simple like a vitamin/mineral deficiency or could be something serious. But, not going to the dr. seems like a huge risk. And I wouldn't lift weights again until I was the Dr., especially since it seems that this just hasn't happened one time.

craig
Old 11-28-2005, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the advice, yea its abit scary couse you might fall but I dont think its that bad.

Its like when you have been watching tv for a long time and you get up to quick,...and yes, that happends to me often forgot to mention that.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:46 AM

Go to the doctor, goofy!
Old 11-28-2005, 07:50 AM

Go to the doc and get your blood pressure checked. Low blood pressure often causes fainting whilst training.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you were at the gym did nobody see you faint? You would think if they did they would have a trained staff that would help you or even possibly call the ER for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am only out for seconds. Usually I just sit down on the bench/machine I am working at but sometimes I faint standing...dont know if thats actually fainting but I grab something and everything goes black, its like all my sences where disabled, and then after a few seconds you have a hard time remembering what just happend.

So far I havnt falled down or anything, since I have a similair experience when I get to quickly up from bed I didnt think to much of it...now I am slightly more worried.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:55 AM

I think the general consensus here is go to the dr.

You also mentioned the "standing up too quick" thing. This is a lot different than fainting. Doesn't one become unconsciousness for a certain period of time when they faint?

craig
Old 11-28-2005, 08:01 AM

Yea, Doc it is then.