Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 02:41 AM

Default HOH2 on continuation size bets: don\'t agree they should be half pot

Harrington says continuation bets should be half pot to get a good return on you bluffing dollar. However, he says you should vary the size so it is not obvious.

I usually like to make a continuation bet the same size as if I hit. I want it to look identical. If I raise with AK and there is a low flop, I want it to look like I have JJ and I want to protect my hand, but wouldn't mind a call. If I raise with 88 and the flop is ace high, I want to bet it like I had AK.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:43 AM

Default Re: HOH2 on continuation size bets: don\'t agree they should be half pot

If you make the bet Half Pot, they dont have the odds to draw to anything. So if they are behind, they make a mistake to call. And if they are ahead you saved yourself some money, and kept the pot manageable in case you need to get away.

C-Dog
Old 09-14-2005, 02:44 AM

Default Re: HOH2 on continuation size bets: don\'t agree they should be half pot

Ive said it once, I'll say it again.

HOH is a dangerous book.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Re: HOH2 on continuation size bets: don\'t agree they should be half po

[ QUOTE ]
Ive said it once, I'll say it again.

HOH is a dangerous book.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've said it once, I'll say it again, please elaborate. This type of a comment is more harmful than good. If you have issues bring them up but don't just keep saying it's dangerous. That doesn't contribute anything.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:52 AM

A 1/2 pot sized bet is charging people enough so they can't chase most draws. You only have to win more than 33% of the time to make this profitable. From my own experience I win much more than 33% of the time. And I bet the same whether I connected or not. It's amazing how many times I'll bet 1/2 the pot hitting the flop strongly only to have someone raise me and spew more chips. If it's a very coordinated board and it wouldn't make sense for you to bet 1/2 the pot with something like top pair then you have to bet more or check behind. You don't need to make a continuation bet always but heads up I think it's very powerful and very profitable.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:56 AM

Relax...just make it 65%-75% then and bet the same with made hands. I don't think that Harrington would call this a mistake over making it 50%.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Relax...just make it 65%-75% then and bet the same with made hands. I don't think that Harrington would call this a mistake over making it 50%

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I do.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:12 AM

I think the problem with betting 60-75% is that a) you will lose more when your bluffs get called, and b) even when you have a good hand you are giving your opponent the correct odds to fold their draws therefore making it easier for them to avoid making mistakes with pot odds. 50% is good enough to give draws improper odds and tempt them into making mistakes.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:13 AM

Your logic is way too simplified. Your opponent's calling you with a draw isn't a good thing if you are going to give away your entire stack if it hits. You are basically saying that you are omnipitent and know the exact hand of your opponent and that they will make no money from you if they should happen to get there.

To argue something as silly that betting 50% of the pot on the flop is better than 65-70% of the flop is really absurd. It's so situation dependant to begin with.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the problem with betting 60-75% is that a) you will lose more when your bluffs get called, and b) even when you have a good hand you are giving your opponent the correct odds to fold their draws therefore making it easier for them to avoid making mistakes with pot odds. 50% is good enough to give draws improper odds and tempt them into making mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also did you ever consider that it's possible your bluffs will get called somewhat less because you are betting slightly more?