Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Neteller Accnt Hacked (continued) and Neteller Won\'t Refund

First off, as I said in the previous thread I registered this account just to post this message on Saturday when I found out all my money in the Neteller account had been stolen. So if you think I'm making this s.h.i.t up because this is a new account, please disregard this message and save all those "Look at your name, neteller123 hahaha", "Why should we believe you Mr. 1 post?" to yourself. Thank you.

That being said, here's the bad news. I lost all my money in the Neteller account and most likely they are NOT going to credit me my money back.

Here's what happened today. I called Neteller's investigation dept and talked to one of their reps. She told me I needed to file a police report because without a report there's very little they could do. So I went to the Sheriff's office and had a chat with fraud and forgery investigator Tim. I filed a report but was told that I couldn't get a copy until next week. I told him I needed to fax that report to Neteller so that they can start the investigation. He basically called BS on that one and told me Neteller should give me the money back right away even without a police report if they are a reputable company because I reported the crime to them in time.

So I left the Sheriff's office and called Neteller back. They said they were going to start the investigation right away but wouldn't release any info to the police (then to me) until they got the report.

They also told me they were going to refund me ONLY IF they could prove Neteller's computer system had been breached. In other words, unless they came out and made a public announcement that Neteller had been hacked, I would have to take responsibility for the loss.

Of course I knew Neteller is an offshore company thus out of U.S. jurisdiction. But I will see what I can do and keep you guys posted about the outcome. Call FBI maybe. Call FSA (Neteller is FSA regulated whatever that means). That sort of thing.

All in all, if one day you wake up and find out your Neteller money has been stolen, chances are you will NEVER get your money back. YOU ARE RISKING LOSING ALL THE MONEY BY USING NETELLER because there's no better alternative (please correct me if I'm wrong).

For those of you who think "This moron just lost all his money because he doesn't know squat about protecting his account info. This will never happen to ME.", I'd like yall to know I had the same thought up until Saturday. Believe it or not, I've been very careful when it comes to online banking. Firewall, anti-spyware sw, anti-virus sw, hard-to-guess password... you name it, I've done it.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Neteller Accnt Hacked (continued) and Neteller Won\'t Refund

have you provided any pics of the transactions of your neteller, emails, anything?
Old 06-06-2005, 02:48 PM

You have still never said where this $$$ went to. Another person, a poker site, etc.? This is all tracked and I find it amzing you can't answer this simple question.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:50 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

Sorry you've had all this trouble. One suggestion for the future (whether you use Neteller or one of the other e-wallets) is that you open a separate checking account solely to fund it, and only put money into it when you're actually depositing. That way, if someone hacks in again, nobody can withdraw more than is already in Neteller and/or your separate account (which should be zero unless the hacker catches you at exactly the wrong time). I have no clue as to how to fix your current problems, though.

-Mike
Old 06-06-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have still never said where this $$$ went to. Another person, a poker site, etc.? This is all tracked and I find it amzing you can't answer this simple question.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean buddy? In my original post, I said "The transaction description says RM Costa Rica". A few posters then suggested that my money had been transferred to a poker site since quite a few poker sites are based out of Costa Rica.

Neteller won't release any info to me until they get the police report next week.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
have you provided any pics of the transactions of your neteller, emails, anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, until he posts these I don't give a [censored]. Sounds like a bunch of crap to me.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any email at this point and my neteller account has been closed (I authorized them to do so for now). But I will post a copy of the police report once I get it in the mail next week.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:01 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point; if it was moved to another poker/gambling site, that means that someone has used your email address to open an account there. You should go over your transaction logs, identify which site it was moved to, and contact their support people. They should be able to figure out what happened to the money after it came from your Neteller account, and maybe that will help you and the authorities track it down.

-Mike
Old 06-06-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In my original post, I said "The transaction description says RM Costa Rica". A few posters then suggested that my money had been transferred to a poker site since quite a few poker sites are based out of Costa Rica.

Neteller won't release any info to me until they get the police report next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can they at least tell you what "RM Costa Rica" is? If it's a poker/gambling site, there should be no problem for them to reveal that to you. If it's an individual who set up a personal transfer, they ought to be able to identify who it is, even if they can't tell you that.

-Mike
Old 06-06-2005, 03:08 PM

I would love to be able to follow the "Jah Rasta" rule in your case (everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt) but I can't do it. Everything you say is just way too general and out of focus. 1. You claim someone hacked your Neteller account and transferred your money. Tell us how much you lost. 2. You claim it was transferred to "RM Costa Rica". Fine, shouldn't be too hard to get Neteller to tell you who this is or what kind of business. 3. You provide no copies of e-mails, etc.

I think someone said it in the original thread - let this thread die. You've had your 15 minutes.