Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2004, 06:40 PM

Default AJs flop decision...

50$ buy in on party- NL

My stack ~50
Villian ~ 25

I raise to 4$ in MP with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and get called by the BB

Pot 8$-
flop comes 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
the BB bets out 8$

Your play?
Old 12-26-2004, 07:00 PM

Default Re: AJs flop decision...

First of all, I'm not fond of the raise with AJ.
It's not a premium hand and raising it seems like a nice way to inflate the pot and to get committed if you flop TPTK, which might not be the greatest situation.

After the flop, you pretty much push or fold, considering the opponent's small stack. If all your outs are clean, you have 18 of them (9 flush cards and 3 non-spade fives, 3 A, 3 J) for 2 streets, but it's likely some of them are counterfeit.

Considering he called a raise, he could have a low suited ace (some are that bad), overcards or an overpair. His bet looks like he wants the draws out.

In that situation I think I would push and hope for the straight or flush, but I'd much rather avoid this situation at all by limping and keeping the pot small.

Cheers,
Raph
Old 12-26-2004, 07:28 PM

Default Re: AJs flop decision...

Without the details of position and number of players you can't be sure the preflop raise is bad. Shorthanded AJs is very strong.

On the flop you pretty much have to push; you have a gutshot straight flush draw with two overcards. Most of the time all of your outs will be clean and you will be about a 60% favorite. Worst case scenario is you have a 30% chance to win against a set, but the dead money already in the pot makes up for this a little bit.

Calling is bad since your edge is relatively small, and you are best off if he folds and just gives away the money already in the pot. The rest of the money would presumably all go in the pot on the turn anyway regardless of what comes, so give him a chance to fold.